Thursday, December 14, 2006

Amnio #2

Owie, the second amnio was significantly more painful than the first one. Since the baby is bigger (weighing in at 2 whole pounds now!) and there is less space inside the uterus, it was harder for the doctor to find a pocket of fluid that was somewhat safe to poke a needle into. The angle of the needle was weird and had to pass through lots of tissue, and apparently that equals pain. My belly hurt for most of the evening last night, but I woke up this morning feeling completely fine, so no harm done!

Thankfully, this test for the 22q11 chromosome deletion can be done in DAYS, not weeks. THANK GOD. I will sit anxiously by my phone all day today and tomorrow waiting to hear some (good) news. I should probably warn my boss and tell her if she sees me convulsing on the floor in the next couple days that she should call Dan to come cart me away.

My friend, Jodi, from high school shared a very sad story with me today. A good friend of hers, Heather, has recently had to deal with a tragic loss. Her husband died a few weeks ago in a small plane crash, leaving her and her four young children, and a baby due in January, behind. :( Please pray for some peace for her and her kids. I CANNOT imagine dealing with such a tragic loss. This got me thinking about all the things that I am sooo very grateful for. Dealing with our baby's health problems is so minute in the grand scheme of things. I don't mean to diminish the struggles that Baby will have to endure, but this is something we can and will deal with.

We have a name! We've had some inquiries as to what it is, but we aren't going to share till birth. We all know practically everything else about this baby...we have to keep something a secret! I'll give you a hint. It's NOT Horatio and it DOESN'T start with "the."

Ok, ok...I (reluctantly) promised some people that I'd post some belly pics...these are from last weekend, at 6.5 months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, Megan you look so cute here in your xmas party outfit (yes, baby belly and all is quite adorable on you =) Andrew and I can't wait to meet mini-porta when he arrives on the scene!
-Ronda

Anonymous said...

you call that a baby belly? That is barely a pooch! You look so cute.
=Angie P