Friday, August 15, 2008

Cleared for surgery, stay away gunk

This morning we took Elijah in for his 18-month well visit and his pre-op physical. Because his lungs are still pretty junky from his cold, he will be taking antibiotics for a few days to hopefully ensure that we won't have to reschedule Wednesday's surgery. This surgery is for his hypospadias repair. There is a 30% chance he'll need a second surgery a few months down the road, but we won't know that till after this first one. I am absolutely dreading being in the hospital, even if it is for just one night.

Elijah is in the 19th percentile for height (Mama's shrimp genes), 26th for weight (his growth has slowed down a bit since learning to move around more) and 70th for head size (!!). We talked a bit about his development and how his low blood-oxygen saturations really affected him for the first 14 months of his life. He is way way behind in gross motor development, as we already knew, and Dr. Judy thinks he may be behind in his speech as well. We are going to hopefully get him into a secondary PT program so we can get a couple different sessions with different therapists every week. The sooner we can get him caught up, the better.

The appointment went great. Very few tears, only when he got his DPT vaccination. Dr. Judy is very gentle with him, so he flirted his way through most of the visit and kept offering her his soggy, saliva-soaked crackers. What a sweet boy!

Dan's mom is going to come over to watch Elijah tonight so Dan and I can get out of the house for a bit after he goes to bed. Tomorrow Dan is heading up north for the weekend to spend time with his college friends. It will be a fun experiment to see if I can get through the weekend without my left arm crumbling off my body. I am in so much pain from this stupid tenosynovitis. I'm thinking that cortisone shot did nothing for me. UGhhghh. Anyway, Elijah and I have some fun things planned this weekend, so I'll update again soon with pics.

Have a good weekend, everyone! Thanks for checking in on us.

6 comments:

Tina:0) said...

Hope Elijah stays healthy for the surgery & it goes well! Poor guy... even those overnight deals are no fun:0( We'll keep him in our prayers!

As for your tenosynovitis, are you stretching or using ice?! Give me a call, I've got some great ideas from my previous life as a PTA (treated quite a few patients with DeQuervain's).

Hope you & Dan have a good night out! Smoochy-moochy on that handsome little man for me!

my life: said...

Wow...a whole bunch of things I've never heard of....I'm starting to feel like a "dumb" nurse...hm...
I hope everything goes better than expected for that sweet, flirty baby of yours! I hope one time is all it takes....
As for your arm...got nothin. Except...that sucks...hope it feels better soon...life is rough on a mama with a no good arm! ;^)

Thanks for all your words of encouragement....and all the virtual hugs...:^)

jencooper said...

Woohoo - date night!! That is so nice. Enjoy yourselves.

I hope that your arm behaves while Dan is gone. I see lots of playing on the floor!!

<3,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Hope Elijah feels better. No sickness allowed for Mommy weekend!

Enjoy your alone time with Dan...then with your little man!

Sending lots of feel better hugs to you for your arm!!

Love ya,

Cindy

Kathy said...

oh...Elijah has to have the biggest brain of all the babies!!! HOLY COW!
He doesn't need to walk or talk...he'll be playing mind games with everyone!
Glad he was such a big boy...he's such a sweet little thing.
GOsh..and your poor arm. Good luck this weekend.
love,
kathy

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

came by to check in on ya'll...
been in utah ... getting ready to head up again for a few days...

i will keep on reading to see what else has been happening!!!!!!!!

hugs