Thursday, November 2, 2006

Baby Update Part I


Aawwwwwww.....our little thumb-sucking bambino...

Dan and I have been sending out about a zillion different emails to a zillion different people, updating everyone on what has been going on with Baby Porta. We thought we'd start this site so it would be easier for people to get our scoop at their convenience, and to keep everyone on the same page.

It seems like it was 8 years ago, but it was only last Monday that we went in for our routine 20-week ultrasound. I was eager to hear that everything was fine and "normal," so I started to worry when the ultrasound tech began examining the baby's heart from every angle and every degree of every angle...and didn't say a word about any of it. When we left, I told Dan I was sure there was something wrong with the heart. I had a bad feeling. We didn't hear anything from the doctor that day, so took that as a good sign. The next day, it was almost time for me to leave work and I had a weird feeling that I should check my cell phone. I never check my cell at work, so I panicked that I had even had the feeling and sure enough, there was a message from the doctor! I frantically called her and she explained in a very vague, frustrating way that there appeared to be something wrong with our baby's heart. It appeared to be "in the wrong place." I asked if it was something we should be really worried about and she said to try not to, but to get in for a Level 2 ultrasound as soon as possible. UG!! Somehow I made it home without swerving into oncoming traffic through teary eyes.

Dan and I spent the rest of the evening in a daze, with about a hundred different scenarios running through our minds. What did "in the wrong place" mean? We tried googling it, but didn't really know what we were looking for...plus, we soon found out that "heart in the wrong place" could mean some pretty baaaad things. No more looking online. Too scary. We said some prayers and went to bed so we could not get any sleep. It was the first of our sleepless nights. On top of it all, our little guy was squirmy that night! I could feel him doing all sorts of yoga poses and circus acts in my tummy. Every time I felt him move, kick, punch, it made me even more sad because it was a reminder that he was really in there and somehow that made the fact that something might be wrong even more real. I think he was so active that night because he was trying to reassure us and tell us that everything is going to be ok. He was showing us his baby ninja moves. He's definitely a strong little guy. He has proven that already.

The next day we scheduled our Level 2 ultrasound for Friday. Two whole days away! We spent those two days wondering, praying, hoping, worrying, you name it.. I got almost no sleep during that time and felt numb and zombie-ish, not knowing what was in store.

No comments: