Thursday, November 2, 2006

Baby Update Part III


Look at that sweet little nose and those sweet little lips!!

Well, apparently Dr. Nye talked very nicely to her “friend” at the lab, because we got our results back that following day before noon. Not even 24 hours! She rocks. I made Dan answer the phone because I couldn’t hear it if it were bad news. I put my hands over my ears but was still watching him. He gave me a sideways glance and a thumbs up and the hugest sigh of relief came gushing out of me in the form of a waterfall of tears. Our baby now has very little chance of having a chromosomal abnormality. THANK YOU GOD. Later, I went online to see what the accuracy rate of the FISH test was. I am still afraid of the internet because there are so many scary things out there and I don’t want to look at too much since we don’t know anything yet….so I cut my search short. By Monday, my neurotic brain had talked me into thinking that the test wasn’t very accurate and that we were still going to be waiting on pins and needles for another 10 days till the amnio results come in. Dan called the geneticist at the lab and found out that the FISH results are 98-99% accurate in detecting Down Syndrome (which is also called Trisomy 21), and the two other main chromosomal anomalies (Trisomy 13 and 19). WWwwwaaaahhHHHOOooo!!! That is a BIG big big relief for us. Now we can start to focus our energy on being positive and saying more prayers that his little heart will magically heal itself.

Our next step is getting the 99.999% assurance from the amnio that the baby doesn’t have any of the trisomies, and then getting another ultrasound in 6 weeks to hopefully see a clearer picture of the heart, once it’s had a chance to develop a little more. That ultrasound will be done with, I believe, Dr. Nye, along with a pediatric cardiologist. Once again, we'll be in good hands. I wish we could replace our regular OB doc with Dr. Nye completely. Our regular doc, Dr. Junilla, is a complete dud. June-y Junilla. Dr. J. Dr. Dud. Those are a few of our fun names for him. Every time we see him, we end up telling him more than he tells us. He is deserving of a whole separate blog...

Anyhow, we are feeling much better about things now and I would not have gotten through this past week without going completely insane if it weren’t for all of your support and love! We got a lot of positive thoughts sent our way from our friends and family and a lot of prayers were said for our little one and we appreciate that so much. It really means a whole lot to us. Don’t stop the prayers! He still needs more…we are hoping for a clean amnio report and good news at the next ultrasound (no surgery would be great!).

Oh, and I'm guessing you've caught on by all the usage of "he" and "him," but the FISH test showed both X and Y chromosomes, which means we are having A BOY!!! I knew it was a boy all along, but now I have science to back me up.

No comments: