Monday, June 4, 2007

You won't believe this!

We got sent home today! We were expecting to be in the hospital for another couple days, but Dr. G said he was pleased with everything and since Elijah is eating so well, to head home! We couldn't believe it! So here is our man, tired from the whole experience and already taking a snooze (hopefully a long one so Ma and Pa can rest, too) in his swing (nice arms).



We have to bring Elijah back in for some check-ups in the next week here, and then the plan from there is to do another heart cath in a couple months and see how his collaterals that didn't get surgery this time are growing. If they grow the way we'd like them to, Elijah won't need another surgery for 9-15 more months. If they don't grow the way we'd like them to, he may have to have another surgery in a few months AND another open heart in 9-15 months.

I thought by this point I'd just be relieved to be done and feel nothing else, but that's definitely not the case. I feel like I'm a totally different person after this experience and that Dan and I need time to heal up, too...but in a different way than Elijah does. I feel so many emotions right now....mostly, I feel RELIEF that this first surgery is done. I also feel sadness that our man had to go through something like this (even though he most likely doesn't have a clue). I feel like I don't know how in the world we can possibly go through something like this again. I feel extremely emotionally and physically tired. I feel overwhelmed about all the love and support that was given to us over the past 10 days. I feel even more love for this baby than I could have ever imagined. I feel an amazing amount of love for my husband for being such a wonderful daddy and hubby and for being my rock through all of this. I feel so thankful that God has given me everything I have!

Ok, enough sharing my emotions. We are going to try to sleep now. We are weary!
Thank you SO MUCH for all the support and love. Our little man's journey certainly isn't done, but getting this first step behind us feels amazing.

Oh and one more thing....gotta brag about what a champ Eli is. We had some nurses tell us that typically after surgery, heart babies are crabby and mad and they don't eat and they just cry all the time. They even have a term for these babies: Cardiac Crabbies. Well, I hate to jinx anything here, but our little guy is much more content, smiley and happy than before and he is eating better than he was before. He is defying the odds! He is amazing!!!

p.s. All the nurses LOVED Elijah and thought he was the cutest baby in the hospital, and he was such a little flirt and flashed his awesome little smile at all of them. :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you are able to come home early. You will all rest more comfortably at home. We are praying for Eli and will continue to pray that any following surgery will be minimal or not all. He looks so much like Daniel and has a wonderful smile - no wonder he was a favorite in the nursery.
We will remind the church (NLCC-Carlton) to keep him in prayer also.

Sarah said...

I'm amazed at your little man! I can definately relate to your emotions - if you ever need to vent through email or phone I'll be glad to listen.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Being at home with Elijah again must feel wonderful. The nurses HAD to be crazy about him! The pictures are so good--keep them coming. We hope and pray all goes well this week and he gets stronger for the next time. You have been great parents who have been through a great deal. It is not unusual to experience all the emotional turmoil you are feeling, but God gave you that wonderful little guy and He will give you the strength to do it all again when necessary. Give him a big hug and kiss for us and we hope he will be strong enough to meet more of the family soon. Hugs and prayers to all of you!
Love Julie and Virg

Tracy said...

Yay, I'm so glad you are home. Take the time you will need to heal yourselves, too. When we were in the hospital for our little guy ... it's almost like we were on auto-pilot during the whole surgery & recovery. It was only after we got home that I had to deal with a lot of emotions ... fatugue, relief, sadness, etc. I understand where you are coming from. Just take care of yourself ... and look at that sweet little face :). Continuing to keep you all in my prayers ... for everyone to heal & recover. Take care.

Molly said...

What a great surprise!
Home-Sweet-Home
I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that you got home early. I'll continue praying for you guys.

Sara Roy

Anonymous said...

how exciting! i'm so happy for you guys and glad things have gone so well. get some rest and take care of yourselves too!
karla

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this experience.
Finding out that you are home made my day.
Congratulations.
Get some rest.
Sophia has always been pleasant through these things as well. We were told there is a tendency for kids to become either really tolerant or kinda grumpy and intolerant with this much medical intervention. We have been lucky so far. But now that she is TWO all bets are off.

Jackie said...

I'm still with you; and I stand amazed at the goodness of our great God!

Unknown said...

God is so Good! Congratulations!!! we are sooooo happy for you guys. This is what we were praying for. Miracle child! Even tho you are out of the woods, we will keep you in our prayers. Be strong.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

What a nice surprise!

That's great that you're home!!

Crabby huh? I've never experienced that with Matthew...
he's sooo mellow and sweet...
I have always heard that cardiac babies are either
crabby or very mellow...

we got lucky!

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I will miss seeing you all at the hospital but I am SO HAPPY that you were able to take your little fella home and get a little bit more of a normal life for yourselves again. Thanks for being such good friends to Katie and I.

tim yoder

ann marie said...

Congrats! I am so very happy for the porta fam! I feel blessed to have seen your grit and determination through this, not to mention Elijah's remarkable progress. I very much admire the two of you for your strength and ability to lean on each other and God. It has been inspiring and amazing to watch this adventure unfold-I am so thankful to know you! You will continue to be in my prayers for physical and emotional rest! Love ya!
ann marie

Anonymous said...

we are very happy for you! you are very strong and loving parents, rest and enjoy your little miracle baby. we'll continue to uphold you in prayer.love, mary,bill and jacob

Jenni said...

How fabulous to be home. Reading your post just about brought tears to my eyes. I can relate to just about everything you are feeling and being overwhelmed with emotions.

Will continue to pray for Eli! I'd love to add you to my heart babies blogroll!