Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ear surgery

I will tell you the good news up front to keep you from wondering! We are HOME (all except Sammy, who is at Grandma's house tonight--thank you, Grandma, for taking such good care of our boy tonight)! Elijah is soundly sleeping in our bed after a long day at the hospital. He was given lots o' drugs today, which makes for a sleepy boy. He has to wear a headband (that you will see in the below photos) for 24 hours to hold the gauze in place. The gauze is fairly bloody, but we are hoping for no fresh blood hereafter. Elijah is not in any pain, but we are staying on top of the pain meds just to be safe. He came out of surgery groggy but doing really well. NO CROUP, praise God! NO VOMITING, praise God! A little crabbiness, which is totally understandable! But feeling good, considering everything. One of the very thoughtful things he has received in the past few days was a Target gift card from my cousin Trevor (that I had placed safely into his little red wallet). The first coherent thing he said to me after surgery was, "Where is my wallet, MOM?!" "Uhh, it's safe at home!" "Well when can I go to Target!!" :)

The surgery took about 4.5 hours. When the surgeon came in to speak to us, the first thing he said was, "It was a sad day for Elijah's ear." :( The cholesteatoma (mass) that he removed had been growing in there for a while. He confirmed that this WAS the congenital variety as opposed to the acquired variety, so who knows how long it has been so big. And it was big! He called it "extensive" a few different times. It was so extensive that, get this, it actually DISSOLVED almost all of the bones inside his ear. I found that to be crazy! So the doctor removed the mass, the tissue that had grown into the mastoid and any bone remnants that were still floating around. Sadly, now Elijah is minus any ear bones in his left ear. The good news is that his footplate was totally intact, which means that hearing is possible! We will bring him back in for a prosthesis placement surgery in about six months, and after that there is a very good chance that most of his hearing will be restored. This is GREAT news, and it almost took away the sting from the rest of the news we received today.

We had to fight against feelings of anger today. Another major thing? Really?! What has he done to deserve all of this? But, we have to keep it in perspective. It could be so much worse, and we totally understand this. We never want him to have to endure MORE, but I have to believe there is a reason for all of this. He is one strong and STEADFAST boy. We will love and support him forever in every way that we can.

SAMMY! We love you so much, too! We will love and support you, as well, our very precious boy! You are an amazing little person and I cannot wait to squeeze you tomorrow morning!


Wendy said...

Wow...Elijah, you are a miracle boy! And what a brave little man, too! Megan, I was thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers as I was flying back home after spending time with my family in NJ. I just saw your updates on Facebook and came by to read up on all the details. Holy cow! You have all been through so much. Can't get over how big the mass was, but so glad to know that his hearing may be saved! Give that amazing boy (and his sweet little brother) a great big hug from us!

Lots of Love & Prayers,
Wendy (& Emma, too!)

jencooper said...

Hang in there Mama!! We love all of you!!