Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Adding to the list....

We took Eli in for his ENT appointment today and came out with a lot worse news than we had expected. Dr. Sidman, who is another AMAZING doctor--we really have been blessed with the absolute best drs, stuck a camera down his little throat and determined that there is something constricting his upper airway passage. He couldn't get down far enough to see exactly what it was, so our little man has to go in for surgery on Friday so they can determine what's causing the constriction. Dr. S thinks it could be one of two things. It could be that surgery/intubation/extubation has caused cysts to form, in which case they'd just have to pop the cysts and that would be that. We are hoping and praying for this option. Or it could be that Elijah was born with yet another birth defect where his airway was not formed correctly, in which case they'd need to reconstruct the airway. This would be a pretty signifant surgery and would possibly require Eli to have a tracheotomy for a few months. This would be absolutely poopy, so I'm asking God as I type that this not be required. We'll get this figured out and get another obstacle behind us. I'm soooo glad that I pushed for getting into the ENT. The G-man suggested it at our last visit, but wasn't adamant about it, so I'm glad I called and got him in right away. His wheezing has just been progressively getting worse, so I knew something was up. I was just hoping it was something simple, which it could still be. I just hate that we have to go back to the dreaded hospital.

We'll be in the hospital overnight Friday night since Elijah will need anesthesia and they'll want to keep an eye on him post-op. We should be home Saturday, barring no complications, and hopefully with good news. Please say some prayers. We are really hoping this is not going to turn out to be a big deal.

Some cute pics to lighten the mood...


Sitting up like a big boy in his new Bumbo chair


Smooches from Mommy. I think he gets a thousand of these per day.


Lately when we feed Elijah, he completely sprawls out on us. He stretches his arms and legs and leans back and just relaxes while gobbling down his bottle. Look at those chunky thighs!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to be on top of things. We really do have to be advocates for our own health and our families health! As always, praying for the best.

luv Kendis

ThePicks said...

Best of luck on friday! Way to trust your instincts on the labored breathing issue. We'll be sending lots of positive thoughts/mantras your way on friday/saturday.

Samantha said...

It is really amazing to me the kind of intuition that we as mother's have. Way to follow your instincts to get Eli in with the ENT. I will be praying hard that it is the first issue and that Eli does not require the reconstruction.

Hang in there, I know you are terrified, but know that there are people who are thinking of you and praying for you. You are a great mommy! My email is smajor711@hotmail.com if you want to talk.

I will continue to check in on you guys.

Great big heart hugs to you guys.
Samantha

Kathy said...

He's such a "Chunky Monkey"...I love it!!! I hope you guys have a quick hospital stay...that stinks...but, good for you for taking him to the ent...It's amazing how we mom's because docs without med-school!!! Thanks for following our little guy...and we'll continue to do the same...
Are you guys still taking a trip to Vegas??
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the Mommy's intuition. I'm sorry you have to come back to the ugly hospital. It would be so difficult to go back and forth like you guys have had to do.

He's quite handsome and looks like he can handle anything. It's amazing how tough these little ones are. I think us parents are probably the weaklings. We will keep praying for Eli Porta.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh my...
I will for sure keep you in my every thought and prayer...

I'll be back to check on the little man!

Anonymous said...

Have put Elijah on our prayer chain asking God to give him (+ mom/dad) strength and healing of the airway. God has a good plan for all of you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey QT Girl - you rock on the intution! Jeff and I will keep you in our thoughts. Please let me know if you need a single solitary thing, Jeff and I are there for you guys always. :)
Sue

Anonymous said...

Megan, I think of you often. Annette passed this link along to me. I'm praying for you and you little guy. I'll keep checking your blog. Colleen

TimnKatienElinSam said...

No trachs for our Elijahs!!!!! I will be praying extra hard for this in the coming week. I know first hand how scary the breathing stuff is and I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this now too. It just breaks my heart. I am so sorry that this first year of our Eli's has been so difficult, but I am so thankful that God has brought us together to get through this together. I am sorry that I will be in Chicago Friday night, due to work, but please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you- you know where to find us!

Hugs and prayers,
Tim, Katie, Sam, and Eli

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan and Dan and Elijah, I had lunch with Paula today and she told me about you all, so I thought I would drop in, let you know I'm praying for you all for healing, strength and God's peace for you all. Make one of those thousand kisses from Miss Linda in Fort Mill, SC.

Anonymous said...

Doug and I will certainly be praying extra hard this week for you guys. It was SO WONDERFUL to spend time with Eli on Saturday. He is such a little Sugarman! I so enjoyed "talking" with him, thanks for stopping by! Doug and I are thinking about you three and sending Big Hugs! I can't believe with all Eli has been through he has such an amazing personality. You guys will get through this. If there is ANYTHING you need don't hesitate to call.
We love you,
Tam & Doug

Anonymous said...

Sorry not to have been around in a while...


I've been catching up and saying yay at the good news, and prayers at the not so good news. I have to say those pics are the cutest. :) and I really hope that things turn out for the best this weekend. We are definitely saying prayers for you and little Elijah.

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Your little man just melts my heart.... I hope all is quite simple with the surgery...