Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Elijah's little buddy

It is 3:30 in the morning and I cannot sleep because our dear friends Tim and Katie are going through so much right now and I can't stop thinking about them. Their twin boys were born 3 months premature in March and they have been living in the hospital ever since. Sam has been "home" (i.e., at the Ronald McDonald House) for a while, but their other little one, Elijah, has been through many struggles and is still in the NICU. I cannot believe the amount of challenges he has had to face, and this most recent challenge is such a huge blow to Tim and Katie. He has been unable to get the proper nutrition (due to many factors) and therefore has fragile bones. They found EIGHT broken bones on his body this week! Poor little guy. On top of that, Chicago is their home (due to being put on bedrest while away from home and pregnancy complications, they haven't been home since Thanksgiving!), and their insurance is unwilling to pay for transport to get their little guy to the NICU there. If they want Elijah home, they would have to pay $10,000 themselves for ambulance transport. PLEASE.....keep these guys in your prayers! It looks like they are stuck here in Minneapolis until Elijah gets better. They are such wonderful people and I just don't understand why they have had to endure so much. If you want to read more, click the "Sam and Eli" link to the right. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get insurance to pay for transport when it's not "necessary"? We need to get these guys home!


As for our little man....I've had a little bit of worry this week. Elijah has had some extra heavy breathing. It sounds like there is a squeaky wheel in his chest a lot of the time. Luckily, we have his cardiology appointment on Thursday so we can get him looked at. I don't know if his little body is still just healing up from surgery or what, but he sleeps sooo much at night. I'm not complaining at all, this is a wonderful thing, but is it normal for a baby to sleep from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30-7:00 a.m. every day? He sleeps that much regardless of how he naps....even if he takes 4 hours worth of naps during the day! What in the world would I do if I had been working this past month? I would have gotten to see my baby on Saturdays and Sundays only. Thank GOD for my wonderful employer. Honestly, what a huge blessing for my family right now. We are so grateful. Elijah needs some extra special lovin' and care right now and I'd be an insane mess if I couldn't see him five days a week.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Tim and Katie's post last night. I just felt so heart sick. I have passed the latest news on to my little network of prayer warriors.

Sarah said...

I'm adding Sam & Eli's family to my prayers. Will be checking back for a cardio update on Thur. ~heart hugs.

Anonymous said...

If Eli doesn't nap a lot during the day then it's normal for him to sleep 13 hours. Plus he's still on medicine right? I think it's a blessing and I'm a bit jealous ;)

Sara Roy

Anonymous said...

I will keep your friends in my thoughts & prayers.

Hope your cardio appt sheds some light on what is going with your little man and his breathing. I'm sure they will be able to answer your questions about his sleeping as well :).

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

OMG... I just get so steamed over the whole insurance deal! I don't understand why they won't pay? Did they call the HR dept? That works a lot of times....

There are a group of pilots that fly sick kids to hospitals etc..

I think it's Angel Flights or something like that...
I will do some research.... also
CareWithoutCoverage.org (Richard Marra) can help get a pilot.

Email me or I'll email you!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh, and Spencer's Fund can help w/ groceries, phone cards and other things (I can't remember the list)
while they are away from home.

I think we had to donate $20.00 to The Congenital Heart Information Network to start the ball rolling.
It can be a huge help to them.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Richard Marra is w/ Care Without Coverage...
He's out of Chicago even!!
I will give them his phone number if they are interested in trying to get a pilot to donate a flight.

Tiffers said...

I am so sorry for your friends. All of my ideas, Terri mentioned them. Have they tried any non profits out of Chicago? Also, when we lived in St. Michael, MN I helped get a fund raiser together for a friend who had breast cancer. We organized it in less than 6 weeks and raised over $30,000. Are they members of a church in Chicago? If so, they could ask them. Also, check with nonprofits that specialize in preemies...March of Dimes is a good place to start. Good luck and we will add them to our prayers. As far as Elijah sleeping. It could be the medicine, but it could also be lethargy. Did you call his doctor?

Thanks for posting a comment to my blog.

Tiffany Hartgraves

TimnKatienElinSam said...

Thank you guys so much for your thoughts and prayers. Your beautiful little Eli is never out of our thoughts. I cannot believe what a touch little guy he is!! I know he takes after his strong parents.

Thank you to everyone reading this site and taking the time to help us as well. As difficult as this situation is, the thoughts and prayers of so many others (and so many that we have never even met!)are really helping to get us through this time. Thank you all so much!!

Blessings,
Tim, Katie, Sam, and Eli