Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mommy the PT

Elijah had his PT visit today and it went well. His plagiocephaly is borderline for wearing a helmet. We need to get his head reshaped within the next few weeks or he'll have to get fitted for a helmet by a plastic surgeon. In order to do the reshaping, we need to be diligent about keeping him off his back as much as possible. That's going to be a bit of a challenge when he 1) hates tummy time (unless he's napping), 2) has to sleep on his back at night (SIDS prevention) and 3) cannot sit up on his own. This means that Mommy and Daddy have to be constantly holding, supporting or repositioning him. She stressed the importance of LOTS of tummy time, which we have been doing, so we'll just continue with that. He is pretty far behind in his gross motor skills, thanks to hospital time and recovery post-surgery, but with some hard work in the next month or so, I think we will be able to catch up. We are also going to get him a Bumbo chair, which helps to hold him in a sitting position. It's funny to watch him in that because his head just bobbles around. :)

It's going to take some hard work, but we can do it!

5 comments:

Samantha said...

You are doing great! I know you want to avoid the helmet, but if he needs it, don't beat yourself up--you are doing everything you possibly can to get him off that head. I am not sure how steady his little neck is, but if it is strong, an exersaucer is a great way to get him off his back--we would always put a pillow behind my kids to keep them from bopping around too much. Just an idea.
Thanks for the birthday wishes!
Take care,
Samantha

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Yep.. you can do it!!!

Matthew was WAY behind...
and he's still behind in a lot of things.. but really...
it's okay...

our kiddo's will catch up!!
My sister used to always remind me...
"someday when Magoo is looking for a job.. they aren't going to ask him when he first started crawling or walking & talking!!"

That helped me.

Hugs

Unknown said...

hi! I'm glad to see that Eli is doing so well in the Heart department! Other things will follow in due time. The Bumbo seat is REALLY great! Eli will like it too. Another thing that helps is a Baby Bjorn carrier. (baby facing you or facing forward) It supports the head but the baby still has the ability to look around and before you know it, viola! He's exercising those neck muscles!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Of course you can do it...
I love the photos below... how adorable.. I remeber my sons first "solid" feed.... haha..they just dont have alot of idea how to keep it in thier mouths do they!!!
I cant advise on anything to help you with Eli... I will just pop by to see how you are all doing...
Just seeing his gorgeous face makes my day seem brighter...
Stay positive..and I hope the sleeping settles for you soon...

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday Megan! Hope you have a terrific day today!
Hugs,
Samantha