Friday, October 15, 2010

Field trip

Elijah got to go on his first ever field trip today! And I got to tag along. We went to a beautiful nature center, where we explored the woods and did some fun activities. Well, kind of. Elijah wasn't in a super adventurous mood, and I think the unpredictable terrain in the woods freaked him out a little bit. He mostly just wanted to be in my arms (hence, no photos). During the times we walked on smooth terrain, I set him down to walk by himself and he would fall way way way behind the group. Even with me tugging on his arm.

It made me a little sad. Part of his not being able to keep up is due to his gross motor delays. But some of it is because his little heart and lungs do not have half the stamina that other kids' hearts and lungs have. And it will always be that way. I kept thinking about a book I read recently, My Heart vs. the Real World by Max S. Gerber, and some of the things the heart kids in it said. (I actually wrote a review of this book on my other blog, if you are interested.) Things relating to not being able to keep up with healthy kids and how hard it is to emotionally deal with that as a child.

Anyway, it was just one of those little reminders that pop up on occasion that make me feel sad for my little boy. And just so you I'm not wallowing in pity, I also saw good differences today between Elijah and the other kids. He is definitely on the kinder end of the spectrum and he is especially careful about treating others nicely. He is also just the happiest and friendliest little guy. In many ways, his medical issues have turned into such a major blessing for all of us.

Elijah immediately fell asleep when we got on the bus to go back home. I guess it's a good thing I went! It was fun quality time spent with my biggest munchkin.

And get this! He willingly, with not an ounce of fear or hesitation, touched: a snake, a salamander and a HISSING COCKROACH. I turned myself completely around when he touched the cockroach. I couldn't even look at it! Icky! He was by far the bravest one in his class when it came to being comfortable with those critters. I guess if you can endure all that my little man has, you can do anything! Cockroaches? Piece of cake!

3 comments:

Cecilia said...

Wowww what a brave little man, touching a COCKROACH and a SNAKE ...

The Smith's said...

Field trips! Aren't our boys just growing up? Luke just had his first field trip to the pumpkin patch on Thursday and I have to tell you, some of the same emotions you described, I also experienced. There was one point where Luke asked to be carried and I just felt sad, watching all the kids run ahead. I think it's awesome that you were also able to focus on the good that Elijah's heart has brought! It's so important for us to balance those thoughts!

Happy weekend!

Sarah said...

I happened across this book while searching for another one on Amazon & read excerpts from it. It seemed like it would be a good book for me to read & I'm fir sure I have to have it after reading your review. Although Evan is very active & does excel at school he does have issues that I know stem from his special heart. It hurts me to see how scared he is - he cannot be in a room alone. Even though he is quite active he still isn't as fast as everyone else - at baseball the kids always race to the field - Evan would run a ways then stop & would say, " I can't." all in all though he is a very special kid - sometimes the things he says or does for others remind me to not feel sorry for him but to look forward to watching him grow and be & do the amazing things God has in mind for him.