Thursday, February 24, 2011

OHS #3

When Dr. G tells me to call him on Thursday afternoon, you better believe I am going to call him on Thursday afternoon! My heart started to race as we began our phone conversation. I hoped maybe he would say that he was wrong, way wrong, and that surgery wouldn't need to happen for another five years. Ha! I can dream, right?

After reviewing Elijah's case in this morning's meeting, E's surgeon thought that OHS #3 should happen within the next 3-5 months, August being too far out. The valve replacement should be a breeze, relatively speaking, but there is a pesky little area in Elijah's right pulmonary artery that will need to be patched (the same area where a stent currently resides) and that will be the "tricky" part.

Dan's and my initial thoughts are that we want to get this done asap. Of course, we also want to put as much separation between cold/croup season and surgery as possible. The end of May or even into June would be ideal, but since we are not ultimately in charge of timing we will just wait and see how things pan out. Scheduling is due to call us in the near future so we can get a date on the calendar.

I scheduled appointments with both Elijah's ENT doctor and his pulmonologist to get their thoughts on our croup-prone child being intubated for 6 hours for open heart surgery. I sense that another bronchoscopy will be happening in the very near future as a part of all of this.

2010, I miss you!

5 comments:

mina said...

Oh I know how you are dreading this, it never gets easier! We'll be praying that all goes well with the procedure. And the pre-procedures.

Stefenie said...

So sorry that you did not receive the news you were hoping for. Surgery is never an easy thing to accept when it is time again. {{{HUG}}} Saying lots of prayers for all of you!

jencooper said...

June 28.....that is our big day. Ugh. No fun. But, I also know it is necessary.

I hope that you get a date soon.

Cecilia said...

Sorry to hear about Elijah's third OHS, sending our blessings your way!

Sarah said...

Isn't it crazy - everytime I've made those calls I've always thought while dialing - maybe they took a 2nd look & it's not as bad -or maybe the team looked & a different plan was decided, etc. I will be praying lots Megan for all involved. Big hugs & if you ever need to talk, break down, scream, whatever - please call me! ( & if you don't have my # let me know so we can change that! )