Monday, October 15, 2007

hallucinating

I'm so tired that I don't even really remember writing that last post. Dan and I have slept 2 out of the last 30 hours, and Elijah hasn't slept much more than that. I think I was hallucinating in the ER. The screws on the back of the door were moving in circles!

We are finally home and Elijah is doing fine. He has his first cold with a lot of chest gunk/congestion. He sounds like Darth Vader when he breathes. His heart condition is making things more difficult because his body and heart are already working very hard but now everything is working extra extra hard (and hence the reason for the scary episode last night). The docs don't want to give him any medicine to treat this, so we basically just have to do the old-fashioned remedies to keep him comfortable and as gunk-free as possible: vaporizer, saline drops in the nose, propped up a bit in bed, etc... Nighttime will be the worst part since junk tends to settle in his chest while sleeping, so we'll be extra cautious tonight, as it's possible an episode like last night could happen again. They gave us the option of staying at the hospital overnight, but we're feeling comfortable enough to do things here and now I know that I don't have a problem calling 911 if need be! We're feeling confident that we won't have to go that route again (please God!). Tomorrow we have to follow up with Elijah's ped and cardiologist to make sure those oxygen levels are back where they should be. They were still a bit low when we left the hospital, but not low enough to keep us there.

Elijah is chugging down a bottle right now and then we ALL plan on taking a giant nap. I just pray the little man stays comfy enough to do that. He sure needs it. Through all this commotion, he has honestly been AMAZING!! He has been all smiles all night/morning/day. What a wonderful boy. I know I say that a lot, but really.....he amazes us more every day.

Pray for some sleep for us and for a gunk-free Elijah.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

These babies are absolutely the strongest things in the universe. Isn't it just amazing how happy they are simply being here on Earth. I pray that you all get a great nap in...I am not sure if Mr. Eli will sleep in the swing or not, but that is a really nice way to keep him elevated a bit while sleeping...we tend to do that everytime Micah has a bad cold...he is right there with Eli...he also has a miserable cold and congestion.

Get some well deserved sleep and let us know how the sweet boy is doing when you have a chance.

Hugs,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry that Elijah is sick. My heart really goes out to all three of you.

Wilson woke up this morning with his first cold ever too. So far it is just a snotty nose, no congestion. The everyday worries aren't just everyday worries with heart babies, are they?

Prayers for your wellness and rest.

Amy

Anonymous said...

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. I know Eli will forge through his first cold. Take care and luv always....Kendis & Chris

Anonymous said...

Extra special prayers and thoughts to you guys. Sending BIG HUGS as well.
Love and Hugs
Doug and Tammy

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness... that was a scary time. I'm praying that Elijah is feeling better this morning, the gunk is clearing, his sats are up and that you had a non eventful night. Keep us posted.

Kathy said...

Here's hoping you guys get some sleep and Eli starts feeling better. I do the same thing as Samantha, I put Isaac in his swing to sleep when I need to keep him really upright (I already have the crib at a high angle). It's just the season, I actually called our card today about Isaac...He's just testing you guys...you've had a little break with him...he's just keeping you on your toes!