Wednesday, December 5, 2007

To: Daddy, From: Elijah

Dear Daddy,
 
Today is your 29th birthday! 
 
I know I'm just a young fella and I haven't been around for very long, but from what I have gathered so far in my first nine months of life, this has been the most challenging, stressful, sad, strengthening, crazy, yet happy year of your life. You have endured more than your share of ups and downs this year, your 29th year, yet you haven't faltered for a second when it comes to loving Mama and me.
 
You started your 29th year off by finding out some hard news about my heart. You were Mommy's rock during that time. She always says that she couldn't have gone through that initial, uncertain part with anyone but you.
 
When I was wanting to come out of Mommy's tummy early, you did what you could to make sure I stayed in there for as long as possible. For seven weeks, you took care of Mommy so she could rest. In addition to going to work every day, you were Mom's nurse, chef, cleaning lady and errand runner. You prepared every single meal for her. You didn't care that she ate spoonfuls of peanut butter straight from the jar and watched Dr. Phil every day. You kept the house clean and kept up with the laundry and garbage and dishes and you did all the grocery shopping. Your efforts paid off because I was born only four weeks early and I didn't have a single prematurity-related complication.
 
Mommy had a painful recovery after I was born, and you helped her get through that. You wheeled her back and forth through the hospital hallways in her wheelchair numerous times so she could come visit me in the NICU. You made sure she was always as comfortable as possible. You helped get her to the bathroom when she could hardly walk. You made Lactation Tea for her three times a day. You even slept on that horrid chair-bed thing so you would always be near if she needed you. You came and sat with me when she wasn't able to. 
 
Once Mama was feeling better you were able to spend more time with me in the NICU. You never left my side other than to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom. You sat with me and held my hand and talked to me and prayed with me and told me over and over that everything was going to be ok. You were strong for Mom, too. Your strength during that time was amazing and vital. 
 
After getting home from the hospital, you allowed Mommy to gradually ease back into things. You got up to feed me two to three times every night. You still made dinner every night. You made sure Mommy had everything she needed, including lots of hugs and love. And, thoroughly exhausted and sleep-deprived, you went to work every day.
 
During my recovery from heart surgery a few months later, you sat with me in that dreaded Intesive Care Unit every possible second of every day until I was ready to come home. You combed my hair and rubbed my head and wiped my tears when I cried. You held Mommy's hand and comforted her when her heart ached so much she thought she might die.
 
After my surgery and recovery, your 29th year became a little bit less hectic, aside from that no-napping phase I went through from about Month 3 to Month 5 (sorry about that). The last part of the year may have slowed down a bit, but there was still plenty to do and you kept up with it all. You never missed a single doctor's appointment (and there were a lot). You worked with me every single day to help strengthen my muscles. You stayed at home with me for a large chunk of that time since Mommy couldn't leave her job and since I needed a little extra attention. You dealt with a whole lot of poop and vomit. You were extremely patient with Mommy as her body and emotions healed from the events of the year. You gave me lots of whisker rubs, which make me giggle uncontrollably. You sang to me and played with me and snuggled me and comforted me and read me books. And you still made dinner every night.
 
So, Daddy, I know your 29th year has been trying at times, but you've taken it all in stride. You have done so much for Mommy and me and we are both very thankful for you and we love you more than a zillion pounds of strained sweet potatoes and corn. You are a strong, loving, selfless, respectable man and I'm honored that you chose me to be your son.
 
Happy 29th birthday, Daddy. I love you.
 
Love,
Elijah

13 comments:

Ehlan said...

Oh boy...I didn't know I was going to cry reading the blog today! Happy Birthday Daniel! :)

The Portas said...

To: Boy, From: Your old man

Thanks for the kind words there little guy, I'm afraid your being a bit too nice but that's okay. I'm just amazed how good you can type!

Samantha said...

Beautifully said!

Happy Birthday Dan!

Hugs,
Samantha

Krista said...

What an awesome tribute to an awesome daddy...Elijah is truly blessed to have you both in his life! Here's to a great year...on your way to 30! (I can say that since I'm WAY past it!) Loved all the pictures from last post! He's a keeper...both of them, that is!!

Kathy said...

I agree with Krista... Megan....these two guys you have are KEEPERS!
Happy Birthday Dan!
We hope you had tons of cake and ice cream and topped off with SLEEP!

Sarah said...

Oh me Elijah - sounds like you have a Daddy just like mine - aren't we and our Mommies special? Heart Hugs - Evan

Anonymous said...

Best birthday yet, I bet! Hope you had an extra special day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dan! (you're just a young pup!) You truly are a wonderful husband, father and friend. Doug and I hope you had a wonderful day!
Big Hugs!
Tammy

Ann(ie) said...

Elijah you are a beautiful writer. I'll bet your daddy has enjoyed every minute of it!! Give him a HUGE hug and a slobbery kiss.

xo.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

what a beautiful tribute to daddy...

hippoes birdies two ewes daddy!!

Kelly said...

That was so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

totally just cried, what a lovely letter. dan, happy belated birthday. hope it was great. what a great dad and husband you are. keep it up buddy! :)
love you guys! karla

Anonymous said...

I'm in tears. What a wonderful, insightful little boy you have. I, too, am shocked how well he can write.

Happy belated B-day, Dan!