Saturday, January 26, 2008

Getting out



We just got back from our trip to the Dells. We had a great time. We didn't spend as much time in the pools/waterpark as we would have liked, but we found out that this resort wasn't exactly designed for 11-month-olds. We set Elijah in the 6-inch-deep pool, but he just shivered and looked at us like IT'S COLD IN HERE WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME so we took him out. Dan went down a few slides at lightning speed. His water slide rule of thumb is: shoulder blades and heels! According to this rule, those are the only things that should touch the slide, which means that he flies down them, and exits the slides at speeds faster than our eyes can process. Elijah and I had a good time trying to keep up with him. Normally I would like to participate in these types of things as well but it turns out that I would have rather just hung out with my son.

I haven't mentioned that the reason we went to the Dells in the first place is because we got a deal from BG Vacations. We got a hotel room for two nights and access to the waterpark for $59 total, which is great. BUT. We also had to attend the obligatory 90-minute presentation about buying a lifetime vacation opportunity, blah blah. We have been to these things before so we knew what to expect. When we got there, though, we were blown away by the fakeness and the cheesiness surrounding us. We did a lot of eye rolling back and forth at each other. We ended up spending much more than 90 minutes there but in the end, Dan told them, "We are totally using you for the cheap vacation. We aren't going to buy this. Sorry." It was awesome. At these things, though, they don't take no for an answer that easily. The "closer" swooped in on us and continued his quest to try to get us to spend $25,000 on the spot, when Elijah did THE MOST AWESOME THING OF ALL TIME. As we said no for the third time, and the Closer again tried to get our credit card number, Elijah looked straight at the guy, DEAD in the eye, and started yelling at him: BAHHHHH! Ah! AAAHHH! Ba! AHAHAaaahhh! HA! Ba. He never lost eye contact. Everyone around the table was stunned by his impeccable timing as they uncomfortably laughed. Dan and I knew he was telling the guy off and we looked at each other like, YES! Our son has our back! Two seconds later, we were out the door to enjoy the rest of our trip. Well done, little man.

Despite this awkward two hours, we had a really nice time together as a family. Even though it's a little extra work performing baby duties away from home, it is so refreshing to be in a different place for a few days. Elijah is a good traveler and that is a wonderful thing because we plan on showing him many places.






This is the toy car we won by spending $20 worth of tokens playing Deal or No Deal


Daddy got too tired driving home so Elijah took over for a bit


Oh yeah, we bought Elijah a new Jeep! I think he's ready. Actually, we bought this because it has wheels on the bottom. We're hoping it might encourage leg usage.

10 comments:

Krista said...

I've always wondered about "those" cheap trips! I love it...Dan's remark (as well as Elijah's) were perfect!

I'm so glad you got away...surprised that Elijah didn't love the water...maybe that will come with time!

The pictures of Elijah are awesome...I just chuckle everytime with his chubby little neck! SO CUTE!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Isnt it terrible how people can get soooo sucked in to spending $25,000 just because of some crap someone spins you in a 2 hr seminar... thats bloody scarey... were you even slightly tempted???
Love the pics... gorgeous as ever...

Samantha said...

You have a much stronger husband than me! We got totally suckered in Cancun back when Leah was six months old...we did their whole "free breakfast" and when I said we were not interested, the next thing I know, Jonathan is signing away! Oh well...it has come in handy and it really has been nice to stay in some really terrific places we never would have before...at least we can trade in for so many different places around the world.

On another note...do our boys all have to be so darn cute? That Eli just melts my heart every time I see his pictures. I so wish that my little scrawny boy had some cheeks and neck like your sweet boy!

I am glad that you had a nice mini-vacation. We all could use one of those!

Hugs,
Samantha

Kathy said...

YEAH..You guys are home!!
We missed reading about Eli!
I LOVE the jeep....I hope it works. What's up with him and Isaac...they don't want their fragile feet touching the nasty floor I guess!?!?
He looks so happy...that's great that he travels good and you were able to get away.
We're all on our way to living "normal" lives!!! YEAH!!
I think Samantha should take us to Cancun...I'll email her!

Samantha said...

Now that sounds FUN Kathy! We could easily do that! Of course, it is a simple 2 1/2 hour flight for us...it will be much longer for you guys...but the soft sandy beaches and the WARM weather sure is worth it!

The Portas said...

CANCUN! Let's do it!

You know, the bluegreen deal really did sound good. Dan and I love to travel so much and we eventually do want to do something like this. I just didn't feel comfortable signing away so much money without researching it first. Samantha, what company did you get yours through?

Samantha said...

Oh Megan...do not get any timeshare nonsense...we got ours through Club Regina (which has amazing resorts in Cabo, Cancun, Puerta Vallarta, Whistler British Columbia, Jackson Hole, Hawaii and other places) plus we can exchange through RCI to get places all around the world. The places in Cancun and Cabo are beautiful and part of the Westin hotels there.

They make it sound like you will be saving all sorts of money, but you don't. We have been able to get really nice places for our numerous Disney vacations (except this last time, but it was way nicer than a regular hotel room and who can complain when you get it basically free and book it just one month before going).

You were very smart to want to research it...wish my hubby would have been on his ADHD meds that day...oh well.

Sarah said...

Love the pics! You guys are cracking me up - my husband even on his ADHD meds tried to do this in Myrtle Beach this summer - thankfully he called me since I was at the condo during Evans naptime and I was able to convince him to walk away, LOL!

jencooper said...

Hi Megan -

I discovered your site through Samantha. I have since read from day one to current. I loved reading about Elijah - and he is such a cutie!!

My daughter was born with Holmes Heart. Basically that is a hypoplastic right ventricle and a double inlet left ventricle.

She is going through a no napping phase and you have given me hope that she will start sleeping!!

Check her out - www.caringbridge.org/visit/gracecooper or some pics are at www.cooperempire.blogspot.com

Jennifer Cooper

Ehlan said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! We are looking forward to our vaca in a couple months!!