Thursday, January 24, 2008

Surgery is set

Dr. Gremmels cleared Elijah for hypospadias surgery, so the date is set for February 12th. It should be a 2 to 2.5-hour surgery and he'll need to stay in the hospital for one night. It will be good to get this out of the way. One more hurdle behind us.

We are heading out of town for a few days. We're going to the Wisconsin Dells to let Elijah splash around in the indoor pools. I will likely take plenty of pictures and share them when we get back (sorry for the lack of pictures this week, I was focusing on the Heart Walk. Please help Team Elijah, if you haven't already!).

I can't possibly write without saying something about the chubby boy, right? He has been really fun to spend time with lately. I have spent every waking, non-working minute with him because I don't want to miss any of the cuteness! It's strange, though, because I'm starting to wonder why he will accomplish a developmental goal and then he will stop doing it. It's like he wants to show us he can do something and then he gets bored with it. He was trying to clap his hands when he was four months old. He did it for a few weeks, and I haven't seen him do it ONE TIME since then. I know he can do it! He claps his blocks together all the time. He just won't do it with his hands. He was saying Mamamamamamamama over and over two months ago. He did that for a few weeks, and now he won't do it anymore. He did the motions to the Itsy Bitsy Spider over a month ago ALL BY HIMSELF and I haven't seen him do it again since. The same thing goes for physical accomplishments. We have seen him bear weight on his legs. He knows how to do it, he just won't! We know he can use his arms much more than he does. What's up with this? Stubbornness? Laziness?

5 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Will keep him in our prayers...
Have fun on your trip!

Kathy said...

Have fun swimming!!! I haven't even put Isaac in the pool yet...he might like it!
Poor little thing...he's not going to like that surgery one bit! He'll need extra smooching!
And...aren't our little boys stinkers. They'll just stand up one day and walk around....and look at us like "WHAT!"

Ehlan said...

Olivia does the same things--my theory is that they start to do something and then they get carried away on a different developmental milestone and the first takes a back burner for a while. For example, Olivia would always start vocalizing/imitating a lot and then would stop and focus on a motor skill for a while. That's just my theory...for what it counts! Have fun in the dells!!

Samantha said...

Oh, you will have so much fun in the Dells...we never got to go when I was growing up (not sure if it was indoors then, but I do remember hearing about the Dells).

We will be keeping you guys in our prayers like always.

I agree that our kids get going on one developmental thing and then they move on to something else and forget all about what they were doing. It will all come back...I remember worrying so much about that with Noah and now he is out of control...

Hugs,
Samantha

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

He is Male... now come on what more can we say... hahaha
I dont blame you for wanting to spend every waking minute with him.....he's adorable...