Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sleep, doctors and toilets

Last night was a bizarre night. Elijah woke up either screaming bloody murder, talking to himself (most likely counting to ten, as he has been obsessed with this lately) or crying every 30 minutes or so. He never does that even once in the night, let alone all night long! Dan and I were puzzled (and quite tired). When we checked on him he seemed fine, he just wasn't sleeping well. Bad dreams, maybe? I have no idea. He was so exhausted by 9:00 this morning that Dan had him take a morning cat nap, and that is something he hasn't needed in many many months. Praying for a better night tonight..

Elijah had his ENT appointment this morning. The doctor examined him and was able to rule out VPI. They gave him a quick hearing test that he passed (yay!). Dr. S pointed out Elijah's "big head" and "short arms" (nice, thanks for noticing) and said, "I don't have any answers for you today!" He suggested making an appointment with a speech pathologist who he works with and getting his/her thoughts on Elijah's nasal-sounding speech. We are happy that VPI has been ruled out!

Now that Elijah is communicating much better with us, we are thinking of starting potty training. I have absolutely no idea where to start, especially with a 2.5-year-old who can't walk or run to the potty when he needs to. I guess we'll start by getting him familiar with the word "potty" and what it means and go from there. It seems like such a daunting task.

Dan is taking me out for dinner for my birthday on Thursday night (can't wait!) and Elijah has a few more doctor's appointments (this Friday and next Thursday) and we have some really super fun weekends ahead of us. Four out of the next five weekends involve lots of fun family and friend time that we are looking forward to very much! Oh, and today is my dad's birthday, so happy birthday, DAD/GRANDPA! We love you and we can't wait to see you soon!

6 comments:

Ann(ie) said...

We have Ben sit down on the potty every night before his bath and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I thought I'd share my pearls of wisdom. ;)

Kathy said...

MR. smarty pants will get the potty thing I bet...he's just too smart! Me...I'm resigned to change diapers forEVER...

now...did Elijah get a endoscopy?? I thought that was the only way they could rule out a VPI (only because I've reseached this already for Isaac...most of the digeorge kiddos have it).

and his sleepless nights...I just got a weighted blanket for Isaac because he's started the same thing. I'm sure if it's helping...but, I"m ruling out everything. I'm also wondering if Isaac is having leg pains when we work on standing alot....and then, I too...wonder about bad dreams. All those drugs could totally be messing with our peanuts.

hope he starts sleeping better.
hugs to you ALL!

Cecilia said...

Good luck with the potty training of Elijah!

Also, wishing you a very special and wonderful birthday tomorrow.

Sending our love and blessings your way! xoxo

Sarah said...

So glad VPI could be ruled out. I didn't remember it being considered but reading the link makes me glad Elijah doesn't have it! I'm thinking Elijah will become a pro at potty training and just as obsessed with doing it right as he is with knowing where his belly button is ; )
Happy Birthday to you Megan!

Tina:0) said...

Glad that the VPI was ruled out! One less worry (as if we didn't have enough with just the heart stuff to worry about!)!

I hope you all had a better night's sleep last night!

As for the potty training... we'll have to trade stories! I'm slowly trying to get Vaeh on that bandwagon. Although according to my Mom she should have been trained a while ago! We'll get there though!

The Smith's said...

Weird ... Luke is having some funky sleep patterns too! His deal is that it takes him up to 1.5 hours to fall asleep at night. This is by far not the worst sleep issue to have, but it does make me wonder what's going on. Is he napping too late? Is he fearful of falling asleep? He's pretty content in his bed, reading his books, but he does like us to check in two times (the second time I tell him I'm not coming back!)

Anyway, all that to say you are not alone in analyzing your child and his phases!

Great news about the VPI. Praying this speech stuff can be helped simply by speech therapy! I just love your little man to pieces.

Happy Birthday!!

Jesse