Wednesday, July 22, 2009

ING! (also known as "swing!")

I went through my photo archives and found all of the photos we have taken of Elijah on a swing. They are all super cute, so I thought I would share..


This was Elijah's first ever swinging experience! It was taken on a warm day (relatively speaking) in the very late winter/early spring of 2008. As cute and happy as he looks here, this photo sends a deep sadness through my core. It elicits tears for me almost instantly. It was taken just before the chaos that is known as The Month I Wish I Could Erase From My Memory. You don't have to look too closely to see his blue lips, which was our first clue that his heart needed to be fixed. I'm just happy that Elijah's face does not reflect that this was a very very dark time for our little family.


It's funny how the early pics of Elijah always trigger such intense emotions. I can see any photo of him that is in existence and know instantly which surgery/procedure he was closest to in time. In this photo, he was about a week past his hypospadias repair last August. This was another scary time for me (on a much lesser degree) because he had a fever for 8-10 days past his surgery and I remember worrying a lot about that. You'd never know just from looking at him, though. Look at that happy face!


This photo was taken on an unseasonably warm (again, relatively speaking) day last Fall, just before his most recent heart cath. I remember trying to absorb as much warmth as possible in anticipation of winter. And little did we know what a terrible winter was in store! This is one of my favorite photos of Elijah. That cheesy, happy grin melts my heart.


This photo was taken at the beginning of June of this year. Another favorite of mine. Pure happiness on that face.


And this photo you may recognize from a post from a few days ago, taken on an unseasonably cool day last weekend.

Have you noticed any themes in this post?
1. Swinging makes Elijah very happy, and
2. our weather is always unpredictable and crazy!

10 comments:

Tracy said...

Your pictures are so adorable! I love Elijah's big smiles as he's swinging :).

Ben & Sara Huelsbergen said...

Those smiles of pure joy are the moments I dream of. Elijah looks so good!!

mina said...

Awww, what precious memories!

Kathy said...

I think you should get a swing and hang it in your living room...that would be the happiest baby on earth!

I'll order him one!

Sarah said...

I'm with Kathy hang a swing from your porch!! We rigged one up in our garage at our old house - brought much joy. I'm the same way with pictures - there are many that bring tears even though Evan looks wonderful and happy because I remember where we were at that moment.

Cecilia said...

Precious little man!!! I love those pictures with a big smile on his handsome & happy face.

Kate said...

Wow, these are super cute!

Unknown said...

Oh i Just love all of the pictures, he is always happy when he is swinging. How fun.

He is so cute..

jencooper said...

He is absolutely adorable!! That boy loves to swing.

I hope that you had a terrific birthday!

<3,
Jennifer

Wendy said...

Megan,

I love seeing the older photos of Elijah...along with the new ones, too! That little boy of yours is growing up, and reminiscing with you has brought tears to my eyes. Elijah has been through more in his short lifetime than most people ever have to endure...and yet look at that adorable smile on his face! He is such a little blessing....and you and Dan are obviously wonderful, loving parents.

Give that sweet boy a big hug from us.

Heart Hugs & Prayers,

Wendy (& Emma, too!)