Friday, April 4, 2008

Tension

I feel like we're an airport and we're on red alert. It is really tense around here. Elijah's cold is a little bit better today. He didn't throw up and his nose isn't as stuffy. He did still have a temp tonight and he's been very tired and lethargic. And something a little scary happened tonight. I gave him a bath because I hadn't given him one since Tuesday. He usually loves his baths, but on Tuesday he freaked out a bit. Ever since then I've been afraid to try it again. He was in the bath for a few minutes tonight, splashing around, blabbing away, and I noticed that he was turning PURPLE. Like, DARK purple, all over his whole body. I immediately took him out of the tub and dried him off, but he was still really discolored. He started acting funny. He was very lethargic and I was seconds from calling 911. I grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around him and snuggled him as tight as I could to keep him warm. I sat with him for a few minutes and then he was back to normal.

His body is struggling right now and he can't endure even the littlest variance from the norm (a bath). Tonight as I was feeding him, I noticed some unusual breathing and I spent the whole time anticipating a throw-up session and/or something worse. It was stressful! I put him to bed early and he has been very peacefully sleeping (I've checked 17 times). I'm pretty sure we'll be contacting the Heart Clinic sometime tomorrow. Elijah needs oxygen. We don't want to bring him to the hospital unnecessarily, but we are seeing very obvious signs of heart failure and we are getting worried. WHY ISN'T DR. GREMMELS IN TOWN? I do have his cell phone number. I'm very tempted to call it.

I apologize for the continuous downer entries I've been posting lately. Please stick with us. It will get better soon, I can feel it! Thanks for checking in. We love all of you!

8 comments:

Samantha said...

Please do not apologize...you know better than to do that. My prayers are with you all. I am so sorry that Elijah is not feeling well...it is just showing us that this is the time for him to get fixed up. You are right, he needs some oxygen...I would ask his partner to contact Dr. G and explain that you will if he won't. You need to feel comfortable. If you need to talk, I am here.

Big Hugs to you all. Megan...try to get some rest...I know that you will be checking on Eli all night...so just take turns with Dan and please, please, please keep us posted on our precious boy.

By the way...no hospital until Wednesday...he has a care package of things that MUST go with him that will arrive by then.

Lots of love and prayers.
Samantha

Holly said...

Hi Dan and Megan, I'm a friend of Dan's from Bethel and found your blog from the Yoder's page... anyway, I spent a good portion of the morning reading through your journey of the last year and a half and I laughed and cried as I read through the entries. I just wanted to let you know how incredibly brave and unbelievably strong you have been throughout this time... I'm so impressed with both of you. I appreciate that you share both the good times and the bad times. I can tell Elijah is such a precious and sweet boy and as a mom of a little toddler boy of my own, my heart breaks with all of the toils Elijah has gone through this year. I will pray for him and for you and Dan during these hard times and will look forward to reading about all the good times to come. May the Lord bless you and encourage you today...

Holly Kuklok Calvillo

Anonymous said...

Megan,

I'm so sorry you're having such a sad, tough time right now. I'm sure it is such a hard and scary thing to see your sweet boy struggling and feeling like there's nothing you can do. I don't know of anything to say to make you feel better so I'll just say I pray every day that Elijah will feel better and be able to have his surgery on schedule to put him on that healthy road!

~Cindy

Andrea said...

Megan,
My heart breaks for you. I know how exhausted and tense you must be, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. I pray that Elijah will be healed quickly, that you will find peace and comfort in God and that surgery will go on as planned.

Love,
Andrea

Kathy said...

Megan...
I want to just hug you right now!!! I hope you guys get some rest tonight...and get our little man all the supplies he needs to get better AT HOME (don't let them talk you into the hospital--unless you think he needs). Just get the O2 and a sat monitor. I KNOW the extra O2 will help him feel better.
Tell Mr. Elijah to stop freaking you guys OUT!!!
(Isaac has always turned purple after a bath...I hate that Eli decided to start showing off now!)
We're praying for peace for your family, rest, health...and time to enjoy each other before surgery.
We love you,
Kathy

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh my gosh...
I need to go see what's going on... I haven't been around much ...

I feel awful.

Colin's Blog said...

Good idea-definetely get Elijah some oxygen. You guys don't need any of this right now. I'm praying for a quick recovery (for all of you). AND-I have been known to call the cell phone of our cardiologist in the past!!

Tiffers said...

Parents know best. I agree, it sounds like he needs oxygen. My heart breaks for all three of you. We will continue to pray for you all. We all know too well what a nervous wreck we can be when parenting these precious gifts that bring so much stress to our lives. They can't just get a common cold without anything else happening. I have to tell myself all of the time that God sends these strong babies to even stronger parents. It is a difficult journey. For Harrison, we are blessed that heart wise he is doing amazing. Yet, it is the little things in life that we are realizing their importance. Each one of these babies are strong fighters. Elijah is showing you how strong he is. Megan, remember Elijah can't get that dirty. If the bath doesn't work for his body right now then just wash him with a cloth. He won't remember not being bathed in 10 years. haha

I will pray for ya'lls strength, rest, patience, love, trust, and for Elijah and Dr. Moga. McDreamy!

If you get too nervous call Dr. Gremmels. I am sure you are not the first parent to call his cell and you certainly won't be the last. If he didn't want to be called, he would have never given ya'll the number. Call...

My heart goes out to the Portas...keep fighting.
Tiffany Hartgraves and Harrison