Saturday, April 19, 2008

Never a dull moment

Elijah was having a great day until about a half hour ago when we noticed his heart rate was quite a bit higher than it normally is. He's been getting every diuretic under the sun today in an attempt to dry him out, so we thought maybe he got too dry? But no, that's not it. He has consumed a lot of fluids today so he definitely cannot be dry. So we really don't know what's going on. We just have to watch and wait and see what happens.

The IV in his neck started leaking a bit, so our nurse tried to change the dressing but our sweet Elijah became Monster Crazy Psycho Elijah! :( I hate seeing him so so mad and throwing a fit and flopping around like a fish. He definitely has his strength right now, that's for sure! I think the nurse decided he would give him a half dose of morphine and try again. Ug!! I may have to leave the room for that one.

During the time I've written this post, his heart rate has gone back down to the 140s (it was in the 160s earlier and normally he's around 120-130s). Who knows! We had him propped up for a bit so maybe his body didn't like that?! His body has been through so much, so who knows what it's going through right now.

I think being in the hospital is starting to take its toll. I was close to tears when his heart rate got high. UG! We're just really weary and tired, but doing our best to keep chugging along!

We received so many nice things today! Elijah is so loved. Our wonderful friends Pam and Grant (and cute Jetson) brought us lunch and some cute little gifts. I will post pics later of all of Elijah's new balloons and some new things that our wonderful heart mom friend Kathy sent us! Thank you Kathy and family!! And thanks P&G for lunch and the sweet gifts.

7 comments:

Ann(ie) said...

Ben became Monster Crazy Psycho Ben yesterday at his well child visit. At least your cutie pie has a reason. He's been through so much.....so have you guys.....it cannot be easy to stay even. I'd be a lunatic. You impress me so much!!!!

Hey, I know you're busy, but when you get a spare second whenever that may be will you email me your address? I have something to send you. xoxo.

Ann(ie) said...

oooops...this'll help:
happyhourlover@comcast.net

Kathy said...

Oh...I wish I was there to hug you...and watch Elijah so that you could take a break! The hospitals take a toll like no one knows....no one that's ever had to live in as much as we have!
Be strong...ask for help when you need it.
I hope Elijah's heart rate will chill out...I know that he must hate laying in that bed...he's use to sitting up and doing his thing!!!
Hope your day gets better, you sleep tonight...and tomorrow brings GREAT THINGS!!
kathy

Samantha said...

I wish I could just give you a big hug, but since I am not there...you need to do the following...and I MEAN IT! Wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze hard...that is your hug! Now, stop reading and do it...have you done it yet? Stop and hug yourself right now!!!

Okay...I have been away all day today and I am on my way out now...but I want you to know that I am thinking of you all nonstop and praying for you all constantly. Hang in there...recovery is hard, but E is so STRONG!!! You and Dan are incredibly strong people too...tell those nurses to slip you some medication to help calm your nerves...you are going through a lot.

Lots and lots of love,
Samantha

Valerie said...

Gosh, he looks good! Hospital, lack of sleep and not eating right will all contribute to this toll taking. Take care of yourself, Elijah is going to need you!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Ugghhhh...I SO FEEL FOR YOU!!
God bless you all...

I know it's soo tough.

and how sweet of all these nice people sending gifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey had his heart procedure yesterday ... and there were no results after 2 1/2 hours ... we are very very very disappointed....
especially Casey....

this was twice in surgery w/ nothing.... not even sure where we go from here. Not sure if they can do any more?


Kiss Elijah for us...
I hope you guys get to go home real soon...

Anonymous said...

We absolutely LOVED visiting you all today! It was so nice to finally stroke that little guy's forehead. He is so freakin' cute with his curly hair and big brown eyes! He is such a big, strong boy.

I wish you all the strength to get through this. I wish I could just do something so you could have a good night's rest, but I know it's difficult when you can't be next to sweet Elijah.

We look forward to seeing you all again soon---hopefully on the 3rd floor!

Give Elijah a big hug from us all.