Monday, April 7, 2008

From the horse's mouth

Dr. Gremmels called me back right away this morning THANK GOD. I wasn't up for another day of totally freaking out (now it will be a day of only mildly freaking out). He said Dr. Wright had filled him in on what happened over the weekend and I asked him what he thought of those 30s, 40s and 50s sats we saw on Saturday night. He said that as long as he was steadily in the 60s while sleeping, he isn't worried. Pulse oximeters (the devices that measure blood-oxygen saturations) lose accuracy once they go below 60%. Basically, a 39% reading is the same as a 59% reading. Dr. Wright said basically this same exact thing to us on Saturday, but (sorry, Dr. W) hearing it from Dr. G carried more weight.

So now I'm not so freaked out about those really low sats. That's good because that was one of my main worries. Dr. G said that since Elijah has had a cold, he's not in a rush to get him into surgery. He wants to talk to Dr. Moga and see what the schedule for the end of the week is like, but he feels like the 15th will be just fine for a surgery date.

The only thing Dr. G sounded even slightly worried about was the fact that Elijah gets more lethargic and more purple in the evenings. If this gets increasingly worse tonight, we're supposed to call him tomorrow. If it doesn't get worse, we're supposed to call him on Wednesday. From there we will decide what the plan will be.

I wonder if the doctors who know our little ones so well understand how important their opinions are to us. I feel so much better after talking to our beloved Dr. Gremmels. I think he should move in with us! He can bring his family, too, that's fine. We'd be nice and cozy and we could call ourselves the Pormmels.

My heart is still breaking for Helena's parents. I can't imagine what they must be feeling right now. If you wouldn't mind, say a prayer for PEACE for both of them!

14 comments:

Samantha said...

You are so funny...I have to run out the door right now, but I wanted to let you know that you made me giggle...the Pormmels! I would love for my pediatrician and his family to move in with us!

I will check in on you later...glad you have a bit more peace today.

Lots of love,
Samantha

Sarah said...

Cracking me up - we feel the same about Evan's cardio. - he laughs when I tell him so - probably thinks I'm a little psycho.

Colin's Blog said...

Wow-you all have had a crazy weekend. Glad that you finally heard back from your cardiologist-now Elijah just needs to get better for that surgery!!

Will definetely be praying for Helena's parents.

jencooper said...

Oh - if only I could talk Dr. Thomas and Dr. Mendeloff into moving in with me....life would be good!!

I hope that Eli behaves himself tonight for you. You need a break! I hope that you are taking care of yourself....and Dan too.

Still saying lots of prayers!!

<3,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

We are glad you are home, rested (maybe?) and feeling somewhat reassured today. We are hoping for a happy, healthy baby WHO QUITS SCARING HIS PARENTS for the next week!

You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Helena's family too.

Amy, Mitch & Wilson

Anonymous said...

Meg,

Godfrey sent me your blog address today. OMG, my heart aches for your family. I know we haven't talked in years, but I thought I should mention that you got another person out there in Elijah's corner. I fully intended to say something like "i was going to be ready for you and LG's April Fools' joke" - but I think, being a bit more somber now, I just want to say you and your family are in my prayers and may you have great news come April 16th (operation is on the 15th, yes?). I would have emailed ya, but I couldn't find a link anywhere? So, if any of your friends and family that check your blog comments - yes I am that guy from Megan's stories whose picture is in the dictionary under "Gullible" - yes, that is me! Anyway, again, my best to you and yours this tax season.

Sincerely,
Ben Cohen

Unknown said...

The "Pormmels", oh you crack me up! I don't know if our doctors know how much their opinions mean to us but I'm so glad that they are there when we need them. I had no idea about the pulse ox not being accurate under 60%...thanks for that information. I'll be keeping you guys in my prayers.

Tell Elijah to play it low key tomorrow. I won't be at my computer much tomorrow since Arianna is having her tests, so I don't want no funny business from Mr. Elijah. OK?!?!

Take Care,

Vanessa

The Portas said...

BEN! Oh my gosh, it's so good to hear from you! Hey, I just told everyone the story (I think on Kathy's blog) about how Laurie and I pretended that we got fired and ran out of the building slamming doors as an April Fools joke. Ha ha!! Laurie and I always reminisce every year on April 1 about how gullible our friend Ben is. :) Thanks for writing......very good to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

You are very welcome! It has helped me through some tough times in my life and opened my eyes to new ways of seeing things. I think I have almost every one of the Psalms marked in the back and just keep going back to them! Hope it is helpful to you, too!!

Also hope you are resting up...and that Elijah is behaving!!!!

Take care!!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan and familia!
I read your blog all the time and send huge happy thoughts your way.
Everything will turn out super after the surgery. I bet it's not easy feeling at ease beforehand though. He is such a CUTIE, I tell ya! I wish I could just squeeze his chuncky little cheeks. :]
And by the way, I was just reading some of the hubbys blog and he's a funny one. I love the post about "mancrushing". lol. He's gotta be a lot of fun to be around. I hope as soon as everything gets better with Elijah, we can make plans to see eachother! Miss you and stay tough!
Lynette

Ehlan said...

Hope today has been going well for Elijah! Lots of prayers for Helena's family--so horrible.

Jane said...

I'm thinking about you guys. I can imagine how stressful those readings must be.

So many tears for Helena and her family, I hadn't checked on her for a few weeks and am so shocked and grieved for them.

I'm glad we have this little community who can understand and support one another...

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

I hope Eli gets better real quick so you can get the surgery out of the way and get on the mend...
Terrbily sad news about Helena...

Anonymous said...

Meg and Dan
I am at a loss for words (imagine that!!) You guys amaze me. You have such a precious little boy. I wish I could say something profound to help easy your hearts but all I can think of is I love you guys and I am sending all my love, hugs and prayers your way. All my positive energy will be focused on Eli next week.
Hugs,
Tammy

I will say an extra little prayer for Helena's family. She is with the Lord but her family will need His strength to get through this difficult time.