Sunday, April 6, 2008

Tough but good day

Today has been draining, but it's good that we are home! Elijah's sats were pretty consistenly running above 60% when we left the hospital and Dr. Wright was happy with that. The most important thing was that throughout the night, when Elijah wasn't moving and the oxygen sats were the most accurate, he never dipped below 60% and even went as high as 75%. This is a very good sign.

We got home and all of us were COMPLETELY exhausted. I don't know if I've ever felt this level of emotional and physical fatigue before. Last night was one of the scariest nights I've ever experienced and it definitely took its toll. Elijah has always been so steadfast with everything he has endured, so seeing O2 sats of 36% was difficult for me. This morning, as we were excitedly preparing to leave the hospital, we heard about an emergency in the PICU that all the cardiologists had to attend to (and the reason we weren't discharged sooner). When we heard of this, we were totally patient with waiting because an emergency is much more important than we were. We eventually got discharged and later learned that that emergency situation was a baby that we know of through a friend, another heart baby who was recovering from her third open heart surgery. I have been following Helena's story since I was pregnant with Elijah and this little girl was strong! Well, she passed away today, and when I found out about it, I broke. It's just too much, with everything else we've been through over the weekend. I can't believe she's gone. My heart goes out to her parents and I've been crying for them all day.

Anyway, we got home today and Dan being the wonderful husband that he is, made me take a nap. We had agreed that I would sleep for a while and then he would sleep for a while and then we'd make dinner and put Elijah to bed. Well, I laid down at 12:30 and I didn't wake up for almost THREE HOURS! I totally crashed and when I woke up I didn't even know where I was, what time of the day it was, what was going on?!? I felt so bad! I infringed on my hubby's nap time! Elijah went down for his third nap of the day at 1:45 and at 4:45 I decided I should wake him up so he would sleep through the night. He didn't eat much of his dinner and drank just a little of his bottle (and of course I'm over-thinking that). He was SO TIRED. Poor kid, he hardly slept a wink last night. The hospital is not good for sleep for anyone. Dan cooked a yummy dinner for us tonight that was awesome! Mmmmmmmm, spicy fajitas. My hubby is the best!

So now we're going to bed. Even though I slept for three hours today, I feel like I haven't slept in a week. I am hoping we can all catch up tonight and feel refreshed in the morning! Dr. Gremmels is "away" on a business trip tomorrow, but I've decided that I'm going to call his nurse and ask that he call me back because I would feel so much better talking to him about everything that has happened this weekend.

Thanks so much for your comments that you leave and the prayers that you've said for Elijah. You have no idea how much this means to us! We love you all so much! Please continue to keep our precious man in your prayers. He is in a fragile state right now and needs to be healthy enough for surgery on the 15th.

9 comments:

Ehlan said...

Lots and lots of prayers...sleep well tonight!

Ehlan said...

Lots and lots of prayers...sleep well tonight!

jencooper said...

I am finally all caught up. Sorry - we have been out of pocket all weekend. I am glad to hear that you are back home. Hang in there - just a little bit longer! I know that things are going to be wonderful!

<3,
Jen

Samantha said...

Hi there my friends. I am so glad that you got some rest. I have been thinking of you guys nonstop and I pray for you guys. I am so sorry to hear about Helena...what a tragedy. I really hate CHD!

Lots and lots of love...I hope you are getting some rest right now...and I will check back in with you tomorrow. Megan...I hope you are sleeping in tomorrow morning.

Love,
Samantha

Unknown said...

I'm glad your home and surgery is still on for the 15th. I wish I could be there to help you guys out. I can imagine your fatigue and emotional stress. You will get through this Megan...even though you may not feel like you can. I'll be happy once you talk to Dr. G and let him know what's happening.

OXOXO,
Vanessa

Kathy said...

You guys...we all just want to wrap our arms around you and HUG you REAL tight! I hope you feel the love that we have your family. Isn't it absolutely crazy how much sincere love you can feel for people that you've never met....but, we do...love you guys.
Please call me if you need to vent or just want to hear a silly accent!
Kathy

Sarah said...

Glad you got some much needed rest. Hoping that today is a good day of rest and recovery. ~Heart Hugs friends.

Anonymous said...

I hope you've finally gotten some rest and Elijah starts behaving for you! No more stressful days like this past weekend allowed!

~Cindy

Wendy said...

Oh Megan!

I am so sorry to hear about all that you've been through! Poor Elijah...and poor Mommy & Daddy, too!!! I'm glad that you're finally home, though, and I hope you're able to rest up for next week.

I apologize for not visiting your blog sooner.....we've been trying to get a lot done here around the house before Friday and our next round of visitors. We should install a revolving door! :)

You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers, but will be especially in the coming weeks! Hang in there, Megan!

Heart Hugs & Prayers,

Wendy (& Emma, too!) ~ 2-years-old, 6q25.3-qter deletion, TOF (2nd OHS re-re-rescheduled for 4/11/08)

www.caringbridge.org/visit/emmanicole