Sunday, April 6, 2008

Whole milk comes from cows

We are watching The Wiggles right now, and have been watching some sort of annoying children's show since 5:00. Elijah did not sleep well at all last night. There is too much to look at and too many noises. Dan and I got maybe a few hours of sleep, all pieced together. We both had crazy weeks, him at home with a sick baby all week and me with a stressful week at work, so we are beyond exhausted.

So Elijah is baffling everyone. Since we got here last night, his sats have been all over the place. When we got here yesterday, they were running anywhere from 36-68% with oxygen. While he slept, with mostly no oxygen, he was running between 60-74%. This morning lying in our laps, he has been in the 40s without oxygen and in the 50s with oxygen. Now, sitting in the crib playing with toys and no oxygen, he's running 57-61%. I DON'T GET IT!

We have absolutely no idea what the doctors are going to say about this. It's a good sign that he was high (for him) and steady through the night!

And wow, he has been SO CLINGY with Daddy. Dan cannot even leave the room without him freaking out. Last night, after getting poked and xrayed and being quite upset, he was in my lap still whimpering a bit. Dan left the room and Elijah looked at me like WHERE IS HE GOING and then gave me a pouty lower lip and said, "BABA!" (Dada) and looked toward the door and started crying. It was so cute! His first call out to one of us! I am totally chopped liver right now, by the way. I'm trying not to take it too personally.

Ok, one funny story. The nurse we had when we first got here last night asked if we fed Elijah formula still. I said, "No, he drinks cow's milk now." She said, "Oh, we don't have that here! There's a grocery store down the street. Would they have it there?" Dan and I looked at each other, confused. We said, "Uh, yeah, I think they have whole milk at the grocery store." She was like, "Oh! We have whole milk here!" Hmmmmmm.

We'll update again when we get the full scoop. Thanks so much for the prayers, everyone. We appreciate it so much!

7 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Kiss the little fella for me...

hugs ....

il Dan said...

Momma is not "chopped liver!" The boy cries whenever the person holding him/playing with him leaves the room. He cries for his wonderful Momma all the time. Just thought I'd clear that up since he can't defend himself just yet.

Samantha said...

Dan...you are about the sweetest husband I have ever met (sorta).

Hang in there guys...I am sure you are exhausted, you sound it and I am tired just reading about you guys. I hope that the doctors figure out what the best plan is that allows you to feel some peace.

We are praying hard for you guys.

Lots of love,
Samantha

P.S. Those Wiggles are some of the most annoying things I have ever seen...Noah and Leah use to be obsessed with them...thankfully it has passed, and Micah is not allowed to watch them.

P.P.S. What is up with that nurse? Crazy!

Anonymous said...

That totally reminded me of a similar story of something that happened to us when Jake was in for his 2nd surgery (2 months)...we went home to sleep and the nurse from the PICU called us about 5:00am..totally scared us to death. anyway, she said "nothing is wrong, I'm just calling to see what kind of formula Jacob drinks..it says on the form 'Parent's Choice', so what is your choice?" And I said "yes, we use Parent's Choice, but you can use whatever is close" and then she said, "but what is your choice?" Huh?? Ummmm....the BRAND is PC...like from Sam's/Walmart!! Your story brought me right back there!!

I hope they figure out what's going on over there. Don't worry if he's finding some comfort in Daddy...you know he's a momma's boy at heart!! :)

Big hugs to you guys!!

Cindy

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry things are happening faster than you'd planned. I know it's no fun being in the hospital (and there's no such thing as rest while you're there). But when Drew is that sick I always feel a sense of relief that I am not completely in charge anymore and I have help making decisions once we're there. I am still holding you all in prayer.

Ehlan said...

I'm just catching up--I'm so sorry you guys are backin the hospital! You have all our prayers that Elijah is doing well and surgery goes well. Hope you guys are holding up well too!

Kathy said...

You have to wonder about your baby when you get a sweet, but dingy nurse like that. Those are usually the smart ones...just not much common sense! FUNNY!!
Poor little Elijah. I hope they just decide that his sats are crazy...send you home with a monitor and O2..you'll know when he's in distress and when to bring him back in.
(GEEZ!)
AND...tell them they can't do labs on him everyday...his little veins can't take it. (You know that they have a numbing cream called Emlay (i think that's how it's spelled) that they can put on them 20-30 mins before the draw to help with the pain...that's just something they don't advertise!))

I hope you guys can just GO HOME--with your BABY! You will all be happier and healthier there.

I'll keep checking on you...thanks for all the updates (like you don't have anything else to do!)
Kiss Eli for us!
Kathy