Thursday, April 24, 2008

Traumatized

Elijah slept like a champ last night. We put him down at his usual 6:00 bedtime and he slept peacefully until 6:00 this morning. He woke up with ONE puffy eye. WHAT?!?!?!? We're giving him his lasix so hopefully that takes care of things if he is retaining a bit of fluid. Our biggest struggles right now are the lugging around of the giant baby without lifting him under the arms and then there's the traumatized emotional status of our boy. If I even carry him into another room, he looks at me like, WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME? ARE THERE BAD PEOPLE HERE? He has been completely traumatized by this whole experience and I think it may take a while for him to get over his hospital fears. If I walk two steps away from him, he gets worried and starts to cry. Poor baby! I feel so bad for him! He is so filthy dirty right now but I'm afraid to give him a sponge bath because I think it will be too much for him and he may have a meltdown. I'd rather have a dirty boy than a scared boy.

It is so wonderful to be home and to be able to let Elijah get quality sleep. I kept having dreams last night that our bed was a giant hospital crib and that no one would lower the sides for me to get out. Yuck! The hospital does such damage (emotionally) and at the same time so much good (physically). We're so thankful for the physical change in our baby, but so sad about the emotional damage it has done. The good outweighs the bad, though. Our baby's heart is fixed!! I stare at his pink lips and tongue and cannot believe it! He must feel like a million bucks.

Ok, please pray for NO FLUID RETENTION. That one puffy eye better behave. Thanks for checking in on us.

p.s. Dan and I did a number on our many snacks last night. I think I gained 7 pounds over night!

8 comments:

TimnKatienElinSam said...

I am so happy you all are back at home and doing so well. Do not worry about Elijah. He will get over this. After the 6 months our Eli spent in the hospital, I was so worried he would never trust anyone again. He ended up being our social butterfly who loves everyone and Sam is the one who is suspicious of everyone! Go figure. The only thing I notice with Eli now is that he loves the nurses, but does not really like the doctors much. Maybe a white coat phobia?!

I just cannot get over how GREAT he looks! We hope to see you all together as a family soon.

Love you guys!

Ehlan said...

Glad that you guys are back at home and hopefully able to get LOTS of rest! Enjoy those snacks! Mmmm.....

Andrea said...

Hi Megan,
I know how you feel. I think the emotional part of hospitalizations is the hardest. Because their physical scars heal and become lighter and lighter over time, but I wonder how these experiences shape their view of the world. You're right though, what choice do we have? They need these heart surgeries in order to grow up. Hang in there, you are doing the best for you boy by just being with him and helping him adjust. Take care of yourself too, I know for me I usually have a really rough day or two AFTER we are discharged. Thinking of you guys!

Samantha said...

Oh boy...I am so sorry that he is so traumatized...that stinks!!! I am also sorry that you are so traumatized by this whole thing...I think that as parents, we tend to take on so much and it makes us emotional wrecks! Hang in there...I am praying for that lasix to do its job and get that puffy eye to go away. I cannot even imagine not being able to carry a big boy around without going under the arms...we only dealt with this with a 6lb newborn, so the scoop was much easier!

I am just glad that you got home and I am glad that you are gaining weight...you tiny little thing!!! Seriously, you probably did not eat while in the hospital and you need to take care of yourself too.

Lots and lots of love...call me if you need me...we are always around.

Love,
Samantha

Tina:0) said...

Glad that Elijah is getting some much needed rest! Hopefully Mommy & Daddy are, too! Speaking from experience, that traumatized feeling will pass. Vaeh was in hospital for 5 days back in March & once we got home I couldn't leave her side for a few days. She finally calmed down once she realized that we weren't going anywhere! I'm sure he'll be back to his normal self in no time! Take care!

Heart Hugs,
Tina Walp:0)
http://nevaehkaylenewalp.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am sure that puffy eye wouldn't dare cross you; it will be better tomorrow - just wait and see :)

Poor Elijah - it took Gabe just about a year to get over the trauma from his last surgery. Until his very last ENT appointment (a la yesterday) the minute the white gloves came out, it was screaming time); the blood pressure machine is his worst enemy - or it was until I got his his shinny new play doctor bag. Now he takes his own blood pressure all the time - LOL!

It was so, so very painful to watch his reactions to the people that repaired his heart and saved his life after he was discharged from the hospital. Truly heartbreaking to watch his shudder in such fear. Sigh.

But - he was over the super clingy thing in just a week or so and OMG was also throwing himself against his highchair tray...or rather pounding his incision against the tray five days after surgery. That almost killed me. I just had to believe Dr. G. when he said "He'll stop when it hurts"...

Much love to you and E. I remember struggling with not picking Gabe up under the arms and he was only 10 months and skinny. That just sucks...but what can you do?

BTW Elijah is just a hero! He sailed through that surgery and is already recovering so well. He is one little amazing guy :)

Oh, I've been meaning to ask - wasn't Overman in surgery too? Dr. G. said Moga and Overman did all the surgeries together and they both were in Gabe's OR - both times :) Overman was our "contact" surgeon though.

Much love to little E.

The Portas said...

Overman hasn't been in either surgery for E. Not sure why because I remember Dr. G saying that they did almost every surgery together, too. We love Dr. M so much!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

7lbs overnight.. hahaha... thats a pretty good effort...
Hoping for puffy eye to be gone asap...