Monday, April 21, 2008

Comfy boy


I think Elijah is loving this hospital time. He sure hasn't shown signs of wanting to move out of this lounging position. We tried to sit him up today for the first time and he forgot how to use his head muscles! He did NOT want to sit up. It's much more comfy lying down and letting everyone do things for him!

We got some good news today. The fluid around Elijah's right lung is GONE. Completely gone! Today we are weaning him off of his oxygen a bit more (they think he'll settle around 90% sats for a while and over time that will increase to about 95%). Tomorrow morning he gets his neck IV out, THANK GOD. After all of that is done, and assuming nothing else pops up, I think we may get to go home shortly afterwards (maybe in 2-3 days??). What a tough guy. I'm so so so proud of him. His strength is amazing to me.

I can smell my feet right now, so I better go take a shower. Gross. Thanks for checking in and thanks for the prayers!! We love our friends and family so much. You should see how many treats and balloons and gifts and goodies we have in this room right now. We're going to need a trailer to take it all home!

p.s. I'm still really irritated with the nurses. I can't believe the lack of attention on this floor. I ended up going to the charge nurse and telling her my concerns and she looked mortified when I told her about our night nurse checking vitals all through the night yet NOT CHANGING HIS DIAPER that had leaked to all of the bedding. Every time they walk in the room I just want to say, "We've got it under control, thanks!"

7 comments:

ThePicks said...

You guys are full of great news today - how wonderful is that. I am simply amazed by how great he looks and am delighted to hear the fluid/lung issue is gone and the oxygen will be going away shortly...all less than a week after surgery - WAY TO GO ELIJAH!!!
You are a little miracle man. Sorry to hear about the issues with the nurses - that's never fun to deal with. What was the night nurse thinking??!! Unacceptable - good that you gave them an ear full about it. Seriously...wtf.

Love,
The RA

ps. your smelly feet comment cracked me up! You know you've been in the hospital a long time when...=)

Samantha said...

Wonderful news! I just knew that cute boy was going to have a good day today! It is amazing how much progress he has made...and he looks just as adorable as ever! I just adore him!!!

I am hoping you got your shower in!

Lots of love,
Samantha

mina said...

It's wonderful to hear about the fluid around elijah's lung clearing, AND the neck line coming out soon! I can understand your frustration with the nurses, one of our nurses post-op documented that Bilal had his Motrin and never gave it! When I insisted the dose hadn't been given I was treated like I was crazy, and when I asked that he be given his tylenol with codeine since she wouldn't give the Motrin, she acted like I was a junkie! No wonder we were eager to leave the next day; the cardiologist even joked that at least he'd get his Motrin on time at home! I wanted to suggest she have her chest cracked open and not be given any pain meds 2 days later! Home will be a relief. I'll be praying your little guy can get out soon!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Sure hope you guys get home soon! We'll keep praying. He looks so cute and comfy :-)

TimnKatienElinSam said...

Seeing how awesome Elijah looks just MADE my day! He is a total superstar!!! It is just incredible!

Your nurse stories are bringing back horrible NICU flashbacks. There are the nurses that go so above and beyond the call of duty and become part of the family......and then there are the ones that you wonder why they ever entered a profession that cares for people when they have such an obvious dislike for what they are doing. It is sad when you should just be able to be there for you baby, but instead have to be on guard at all times to make sure he is getting the care he needs. Hang in there. You are almost out of there!!

We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Yea! How great....no more fluid! And, with his neck IV coming out tomorrow you may get to get out of there even sooner than you think!!

Now is the time to start comparing the difference in pictures from last week 'til now. What a difference a week makes!!

Love,

Cindy

Tina:0) said...

Wow! No more fluid - that's wonderful! Yeah for lasix! After that neck line comes out, you'll be home in no time! Just think, you won't have to worry about crazy nurses not doing their job then! Praing that you all get to go home soon!

Heart Hugs,
Tina Walp & family:0)