Sunday, April 20, 2008

Settling in


Finally asleep in Mama's arms!


Happy to be on the 3rd floor!


He's been doing this arm raising thing all day. We keep saying, "Yes, Elijah? Do you have a question?"

We just got Elijah to go to sleep after a long day. We do get to stay here in the same room with him, which makes me much more at ease. The thing that is hard to get used to is the difference in care from the PICU to here. Dan and I are basically caring for him all by ourselves up here, which is fine because he is doing really well, but it's also a little frightening because....well, he just had surgery five days ago! The nurses up here aren't nearly as attentive/in tune as the ones in the PICU. It's quite a drastic change.

I asked again about the drug withdrawals and was basically poo-pooed again. He got a little cat nap late this afternoon and ever since has been the happiest baby in the world, so the only real symptom we're seeing right now is the enlarged pupils. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

We have such a good boy! As tired as he was, he was the smiliest little guy tonight. My cute cousin Ann Marie and her wonderful boyfriend Paul stopped by with some amazing homemade enchiladas and guacamole (YUMMM!!!) and Elijah had nothing but smiles for them. I really think his disposition is noticeably better than it was before surgery...and it was good before surgery!

Please pray that we can all get some good rest tonight, especially Elijah. The poor guy has missed out on so much sleep these past few days. Also, we could still stand to see more pee to come out and the fluid around his lung to disappear and maybe that will make his supplemental oxygen go away!?

We're off to try to get some sleep on the tiny couch-bed. Oh well, at least Elijah is three feet from us. He better not expect me to put Veggie Tales in for him every other hour!

8 comments:

Samantha said...

I am so glad that you are settling in. I hear you about the pediatric floor in comparison to the PICU...the PICU rules!!!

Try to get some sleep...thank you for the pictures, Elijah looks fantastic!!! He is such a strong boy!

Lots of love,
Samantha

Tina:0) said...

Glad to hear you're moving "up & out" so to speak! I'd keep an eye on what you think is drug withdrawl. Vaeh has gone through it with both her open hearts, & I expect it again with this upcoming one. She tends to have cranky moments when they try to wean her to quickly, but I've even seen her have tremors! No fun at all! Praying that the fluid subsides & you are all on your way home soon!

Anonymous said...

Steph is looking at this with me and wants me to throw in that Elijah looks great and is soooo cute. She also laughed out loud at the arm raising!!!

Hope you guys are able to get some good rest. Since you're out of the PICU maybe they won't have to bother you so much during the night now!! All of you take good care of yourselves!!!

Love,

Cindy

Kathy said...

LOCK your door and don't let the night nurse in!!!
I hope you ALL get some sleep tonight. There were some nights, that Joe would go out to the car...just to get an uninterupted nap! (isn't that sad!!??)

He is looking good Megan...I bet you're outta there in just a few days. I'll keep praying for pee...and for you all!!
Sending lots of love,
Kathy

Unknown said...

Those pictures are very reassuring Meg! Sounds like he is doing better than they expected --just like he was supposed to! He looks awesome. You all are always in our prayers.

Take care! Rose.

Unknown said...

I love the arm raising...your comment just cracked me up!!!

I have to agree with Kathy, he looks great and I think you'll be heading home soon. I'm glad they didn't put another chest tube in. Arianna had to have another chest tube for that reason and it stunk. We spent 2 weeks in ICU so I know what you mean about the difference with the nurses. They almost discharged from ICU but the very last night another baby needed the room so we were booted. We also had another advanctage, I so to speak, since Arianna has DiGeorge we pushed to keep her isolated. We spent 1 night in the regular peds floor and I didn't like it one bit. Robert slept on one chair and I slept on the other. We stood guard is what we called it, so we would know if anyone came in. I have to say I'm not very fond of night nurses for some reason.

I hope you all get some well deserved sleep. I'm so glad you guys are out of ICU!!!!

Sarah said...

It is so good to see him smiling! We had the same experience moving from our PICU to the floor - guess that is universal... the sleeping is better though. You might have to get a flat screen for Elijah's room when you get home, LOL, constant replay of Veggie Tales movies!

Samantha said...

You know...I was just looking at the pictures again, and Elijah looks REALLY good...really good!

Good Morning!!!

Love,
Samantha