Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hope

Thanks for all of the wonderful words of encouragement, my friends (and thanks for the sweet phone call, Samantha. you have such a cute southern accent!). I am coming to terms with knowing that I just will not be ok with what is happening TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY, and that is fine and normal. No matter how deeply I believe that everything is going to be good in the end (because I do deeply believe that), it is natural for me, the mama, to worry and to not be ok with this. It goes against human instinct to imagine handing your baby over for surgery. The anticipation is the worst part of this whole thing. Soon the surgery will be here and we can get on with it and help our man recover and things will look much brighter.

Dan sent this to me today (he receives these passages daily but today's was very fitting!):

He Delivers You From All

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all" (Psalm 34:19).

Aren't you glad we serve a Deliverer today? An affliction is defined as the cause of persistent pain or distress. You might feel afflicted today, but God is working to bring you out of that difficult situation. It may not be in the way you thought, but you have to trust that God has your best interest at heart. I know that afflictions can take on many forms—a sickness or hardship, a temptation, a coworker or family member. There are so many things that can come against us, but God promises in His Word that no weapon formed against us shall prosper! Those afflictions are only temporary. Stand in faith believing that God is on your side. Remember, you and God are a majority. It doesn't matter what your circumstances look like, get up every morning and say, "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." As you stand and trust the Lord, He will deliver you out of all your afflictions, and you'll see His hand of blessing in every area of your life.



And then I saw this:



Warm weather! And sun!

I was looking at my calendar this morning, and tell me if you think this is as weird as I think it is?! Elijah turned 12 months old the day of the cool lunar eclipse. He turned 13 months old on the first day of spring. His surgery is on Tax Day. There will be a full moon the day he turns 14 months old. There will be a full moon the day he turns 15 months old. The day he turns 16 months old is the first day of summer.

What's with all the strangely significant days coinciding with Elijah's significant days?

7 comments:

Samantha said...

Someone is certainly looking out for you! These are all signs of good things...like my cardinal friend.

It was so great to talk to you today. I am glad that you are aware of what all this turmoil in your mind and heart is about and you are so right in your thoughts.

There is lots and lots of hope, and your little man is just an amazing little miracle!

Lots of love!
Samantha

Anonymous said...

I am Colin's grandmother from Connecticut. I just want you to know that all of the heart families helped our family through a very tough time and I pray that your son, who is so cute, will do well and that you and your husband and family will be strong through this time. These boys and girls are such fighter.

Kathy said...

Megan...
I left you a message...so you could replay my southern (ok..down right COUNTRY) accent over and over again when you need a pick me up!!!
I wish I was there to just give you a BIG hug...but, I'm not...so, tell Dan to hug you REAL tight for me!!!
I've got your day number (uh huh...you forgot that you gave it to me didn't you??)...If I don't catch you tonight...I'll try you tomorrow!
You know that Mighty Eli is going to sail through this surgery...he'll be just like Gracie...4 days and you're outta' there!!1 (just keep telling Eli that he's got to be brave like Gracie and get out soon!).
We'll be right here to hold your hand and talk with you everyday! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!
We ALL love you guys!
Talk to you soon,
kathy

Anonymous said...

I printed that verse out because it is a great one to live by! You are so right...it's not a natural thing to have to hand our babies over. And you're right again about the anticipation being the hardest. I guess it's just a matter of "trudging through" the next couple weeks. I can't wait till this part is behind you and little Eli is on his road to recovery!!!!

Cindy

jencooper said...

I loved that verse!! How fitting! God really provides when we need encouragement.

Hang in there my friend. I am sending up lots of prayers for the Porta family!!

<3,
Jen

Unknown said...

Megan,

I have been extremely busy lately and just got the chance to read your last few posts. I just want you to know I'm thinking and praying for you all. It is okay to not be ready for what's to comes...no one is, but we will get through this together. I wish I could be there right now to give you a big hug. You know it's hard to give advice to another heart mom because we all know the worries we have. Stand strong in your faith and He will get you through this.

I think it's wonderful that your so comfortable with your surgeon, which makes the world of a difference.

If you need anything at all please don't hesitate to call. If you don't have my number its 520-406-5655.

Heart Hugs,

Vanessa

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh my...

I am so sorry you are suffering...
I would be too!

I just sent you an email...