Thursday, April 17, 2008

Waiting..

First and foremost, Elijah is doing SUPER. All of his stats are strong and steady. His oxygen sats are in the high 90s, his blood pressure has been great, his heart rate is good and steady and his temp has stayed low!

Last night, our night nurse was pushing to get Elijah extubated today. I didn't feel comfortable with it and got a little bit upset. After Elijah's last surgery, he was extubated and had to be re-intubated and it wasn't a fun thing for any of us. I have been feeling like we should be on the safe side and wait one more day (not that I'm a doctor, but that's my gut mommy feeling). So we were all eager to hear what Dr. Moga said this morning.

He just stopped by and said he thought we should hold off one more day. Yay! I knew it! We'll let Elijah pee a little bit more (he's still holding onto to a little excess fluid) and rest up for one more day. Today we'll be trying to keep him sedated with Versed and Morphine so he doesn't yank his tubes out. It should be another fun day of wiggle management.

Dr. Moga's words were: We have had very good results from a very difficult problem and we want to keep doing things in the proper order. Of course, he said things much more eloquently, but that was the gist.

Last night they ran out of sleep rooms here in the hospital so Dan and I slept on gurneys in a room off of the Emergency Department. Not the best sleeping arrangements, but at least we were still just down the hall from our chunky monkey.

Thanks for the continued prayers. Extubation will be a huge thing, so say some specific prayers for that to be successful and timed perfectly!

p.s. I apologize for not getting back to everyone who has emailed or called. We are not allowed to have our cell phones turned on here in the ICU, so we don't even get the messages till we go to sleep at 9-10p. We do have a bedside phone number to call, if you'd like to get a hold of us. It is 612-874-4929.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Good Morning sunshine!!!
Glad to hear that Mr. Elijah gets one more day of GOOD SLEEP!!!
(I'm all for letting them sleep for a few days...I'd want to be knocked out for a few days if I had my chest opened!)
See...mama knows best!
I hope you and Dan get to take turns resting today...and Elijah doesn't try to sneak any tubes out!!
Still praying for you guys!
Kathy

Sarah said...

Us Mama's know! You and your husband are his best and only advocates! Get some rest... that cute little guy will be ready for your undivided attention tomorrow. Will continue to pray. Heart Hugs.

ThePicks said...

Great to hear the update. Good call on waiting a day. It is definitely better to give it a bit more time to let his body work its magic. We'll continue to pray for a calm, peaceful, uneventful day today and a successful day tomorrow.

-The RA

Samantha said...

What wonderful, wonderful news! I am so glad that Dr. Moga is on the same page as you...I get so mad when the nurses try to rush our kids along...if they need more time on the vent to rest, let them!!! UG! Anyway, I am so happy that Eli is doing so great...he is such an amazing little guy. It stinks that you had to sleep on gurnies last night...I am sure that did not help you get refreshed, but you are like me...I cannot leave my babies when they are in the hospital.

Thanks for the phone number...I will call you soon!!!

Lots of love!
Samantha

Ehlan said...

Glad things are going well--continued prayers!

Anonymous said...

Yea! He's such a champ! Hope everything just continues to go uphill from here! Still saying big prayers for you!

Cindy

thebrufamily said...

Glad to hear the good news. We will keep you in our prayers. Thanks for the pics, too. Such a cutie! God bless you all with His perfect peace and much needed rest.
much love, The Brubakers

Unknown said...

I love this Dr. Moga!! He knows Elijah well and making some good choices. It just amazed me that Arianna was extubated the next day after surgery, I thought that was quick but all kids are different. I'll be saying specific prayers for the extubation to go well.

Hey, at least you had a gurney to sleep on. I slept on the floor a few times...not good for your back at all. UGH..

Hugs,

Vanessa

mina said...

It's awesome you're such a strong advocate for Elijah's well being. The GOOD doctors listen to parents. All in good time. I'm so happy to hear the vitals have been so good. Here's to more progress!