Saturday, April 19, 2008

Smiling more

We've gotten a few more smiles out of Elijah so far this morning. Dan and I got a comfortable sleep room last night finally, so we were in there from 9:30pm-6:00am. We figured we'd try to get some sleep since we were totally exhausted but it turns out we didn't sleep much after all. I was up worrying about Elijah being alone (without us) and Dan was up scratching the mysterious itchy patch on his arm. Elijah didn't have a good night. :( He didn't sleep well and he cried a lot. I told them to call me if he started crying a lot and they didn't!!! I feel so bad! Poor guy. He was wondering where he was and where his mommy and daddy were.

Dr. G just stopped by and said that Elijah still has some fluid around his right lung and that if he can't pee it out today that they will have to put in another chest tube tomorrow to drain it. PEE, kid, PEE!! His belly also looks quite large this morning (even more than usual) so we're thinking he's either holding onto extra fluid there as well or he has some extra air. He did finally start drinking apple juice late last night. We were just cleared to start giving him milk so we'll do that shortly. It's a good thing because he's been doing the sign for milk. He's starving! His lungs sound pretty junky today so we're hoping he can clear some of that out and start coughing a bit more. His belly is still working hard and retracting, so we're leaving the nasal cannula in for now to help him as much as possible.

He's such a good boy. He just lounges in his crib and watches Veggie Tales and Baby Signing Time and takes naps periodically. He hasn't had pain meds in a while and hasn't shown signs of being in discomfort so that's a good sign.

Overall he is doing very well. His body just has a few little things to sort through before we can head up to the third floor. Please pray for continued healing for his lungs and heart and for lots of PEE!

7 comments:

Tiffers said...

Congrats on his improvements. Each day gets you closer to the 3rd floor, which they refer to as the hotel floor. What would we all do without baby signs? Being hungry is a good thing. We will continue to pray for improvements and for his body to PEE out all the extra fluid. Have a good day and continue to feel the power of prayer chains.

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

That's awesome you guys! I'm still praying for you three but I'll add PEEE!! :)

xoxoxox
Cara

TimnKatienElinSam said...

I remember several nights in the NICU when we would be praying for pee....then when it would come, Tim and I would do a happy dance around the room :) He is such an amazing little boy. We will continue the prayers!

Hugs,
the Yoders

Kathy said...

We will all do the "pee pee" dance for Elijah! Is he sitting up yet?? I know that helped Isaac get his junk out of his lungs when we were able to reposition him more.
He's SO STINKING cute...I wish I was there to help you munch on his cheeks!
You were the thing I thought about this morning when I woke up...
take care!!
Love,
Kathy

Wendy said...

Hi Megan,

I loved seeing the new pictures of your cute little man! It always amazes me how these heart kids take the pain in stride! I sure hope they don't have to put another chest tube in, and that he's able to get rid of that extra fluid soon! I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, and give him a hug from us!

Lots of Love & Prayers,

Wendy (& Emma, too!)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/emmanicole

Anonymous said...

OK, you've got alot of people praying for pee!!! Come on, Elijah! You can do it! Hope the yucky stuff gets out of his lungs, too. Praying for you guys all the time!!

Love,

Cindy

Unknown said...

Okay too weird but I get those weird mysterious itchy patches on my arms too when I'm in the hospital. Dan maybe it's just cause were cool:) LOL!