Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Better today. Can you tell?



By the end of yesterday, I was wondering if I could possibly feel any worse. I woke up this morning feeling much better and I'm actually not feeling like this might be the end of the world. Elijah appears to be getting over his cold and it's so nice to see his personality come back a bit instead of the crabby, snotty, tired wailing we've been enduring for the past 10 days. Tonight he threw up after dinner which has me nervous because usually a throw-up indicates a sickness to come (or teeth, and he has sprouted FOUR of them at the same time in the past day, so who knows..). Oh please please PLEASE, no more sickness! We need to get him into surgery and get him better. His heart is so ready to be fixed.

I have been feeling really bad recently for not being able to spend considerable time with Elijah before his surgery. I've just had kind of an itchy feeling at work all week, like, this isn't where I should be right now! I talked to my bosses and they agreed that I should be home with Elijah right now if that's what I'm feeling is right. I have a few projects to finish up tomorrow morning and then I'm taking the rest of the week off to spend with my chubby boy. I need this time with him so badly right now. I am just going to chew him up. He's going to be so tired of Mommy by the weekend.

You can see for yourself how much better Elijah is feeling. This is the beautiful, smiley face that I came home to today.











Have I mentioned what a big flirt he was in the hospital last weekend? He's shameless! We walked him down the hallway in a stroller a few times to get out of our room and he would look from side to side at all the pretty nurses like, yeah, I'm pretty cute! He kept babbling and wanted desperately to be the center of attention. Almost everyone mistook him for a girl in the hospital. It's those pretty curls and big eyes. Dan wants to cut his hair (for this reason) but I don't!

We have had some issues with our insurance company this week. They refused to pay for this month's RSV shot, which is completely stupid, so we had our doctors call in to back us up. We'll see what happens, but Dr. G said that he wasn't too concerned if he didn't receive this last shot. I'd like for him to be able to get it, but we'll see what happens. Insurance companies make me mad.

I'm calling Dr. G in the morning, because he told me to, so I'll post again when we have a plan. I am guessing that unless Elijah gets sick again (please God, NO!), we'll plan for surgery on the 15th! Here we go!!

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words, the encouraging comments and all the love and prayers you have sent our way. We couldn't feel more supported and loved right now by our family and friends. You all are wonderful! And thank you for praying for Helena's parents, too. Please continue to do so. They are grieving the loss of their beautiful little girl. I cannot fathom their pain.

Also, please pray for baby Micah. He has a surgery tomorrow to get a g-button placed in his tummy because of some feeding issues he's been having. Also, little Logan is having heart surgery tomorrow and another one next week. And Emma is re-re-reschuled to have her open heart surgery on Friday, so say some prayers for her! It is the week of the surgeries for all my precious heart babies!

12 comments:

Colin's Blog said...

The pics are adorable-it is so nice to see him smiling! That is so wonderful that you were able to stop working early to spend some time with Elijah. Just get in as many kisses and hugs as you can since they are really difficult to squeeze when they are hooked up to all those machines! Praying for the entire Porta family to get better for next week!

jencooper said...

Okay - seriously - those are the cutest pictures!! I am so happy to see personality come back!! Way to go Elijah!

I hate insurance too....who doesn't??

Seriously, tell Dan that I would personally fly up north (brrrr) and kick his tushy if he cuts that hair. I mean it!! I am a curly hair girl.....who is a red-head.....who could possibly have a temper.......

<3,
Jen

Ehlan said...

I'm glad today is a better day! You enjoy the time you will get with him this weekend--what a blessing for your bosses to be so understanding and allow you to take that time off. Lots of prayers!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
I have been following the chubster's progress with baited breath while I was in Seattle and I am so glad to see those pics of him today!
My Wooddale ladies are on full prayer alert (as am I!) I love you guys and think about and pray about you so often. Let me know if there is ANYTHING (truly, anything) I can do.
XOXOXOX,
Ann Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
I have been following the chubster's progress with baited breath while I was in Seattle and I am so glad to see those pics of him today!
My Wooddale ladies are on full prayer alert (as am I!) I love you guys and think about and pray about you so often. Let me know if there is ANYTHING (truly, anything) I can do.
XOXOXOX,
Ann Marie

Samantha said...

Jen is NOT kidding either...she HAS kicked my tushy for cutting Micah's hair...Dan...be careful...that is one red headed mama you DO NOT want to mess with ;)

I LOVE the pictures...he does look like a million bucks...and I love the curly hair...you know that already though!

Thanks for thinking of us...I still have not heard from the anesthesiologist...so it is a good thing I have been there done that before!

I am so happy that you are going to take the rest of the week off...what a wonderful plan so that you and your boys can just relax and make beautiful memories (hopefully with good weather)

Lots of love!
Samantha

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh...
what a relief to see those happy pics!!!
He looks WAY better...
I'm glad you are able to take the week off...nothing like loving on your babydoll ALL day!!
I can't believe all the teeth he has...how many is it now??

love to you all,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

How cute are those pictures!!!! He looks like such a happy boy today!!! I'm so glad you're getting to take the rest of the week off. Lots of bonding time!!!

Stay well!!!

~Cindy

Anonymous said...

Great that he is feeling better! I had been praying for that all day today. I am so excited to see these great pictures!

I'm glad that your company is SO understanding about this situation and that you get to spend some time with Elijah tomorrow.

About insurance, we had to FIGHT and complain and call and fax and do it all over again to get our boys an RSV shot for April. It took about a week but our insurance finally approved it for both boys. We were told by several people that "the squeaky wheel gets the oil". Hopefully insurance will come through for you guys.

We will pray for your friends's babies too.

tim and katie yoder

il Dan said...

Hey now, it's not like I'd give him a buzz cut. Just a little trim so his hair doesn't tickle his ears or confuse his gender.

Sarah said...

So glad to hear he is feeling better! I hope you all have a wonderful week together.

Ann(ie) said...

YAY for your employer!!!!