Sunday, April 13, 2008

Progress

This morning I was lying in bed wide awake at 5:00 a.m., anticipating baby squeals, when I started to pray. Hard. I prayed for PROGRESS. Elijah woke up a little while later and he still had a temp and he was a bit crabby and pale so I thought my prayer wouldn't be answered. But then the day went on and his temp went away (he was actually on the cool side most of the day) and he seemed to be kicking this bug that he has been holding onto. He still has a congested nose and he's utterly exhausted constantly, but THE FEVER IS GONE! YAY! He ate pretty well and drank lots of liquids today, and those are all good signs. My prayer tonight/tomorrow morning will be to have NO MORE SNOT.

Our pre-op appointment with Dr. Gremmels is at 11:00 tomorrow. Dan and I have a bet. I think the surgery is going to be postponed and he thinks it won't be. It's tough. Elijah's heart is in serious need of repair, but I'm thinking Dr. G will err on the side of caution and put a few more days behind him with this cold. We will see!

I never would have thought I'd be so excited to get my child into the OR. Right now I am feeling so eager to get him in there and get him out. Every day we see a few more signs that his heart is failing very quickly. He is just so ready. I'm strangely excited to have operating day come! Let's hope that he will be healthy enough for it to be on Tuesday.

My wonderful boss and his lovely wife are coming over to our house tonight while Dan and I go out for dinner. Elijah is fast asleep already (like I said, TOTALLY exhausted boy!) so all they should have to do is sit in the living room and watch tv. We're excited to have one last outing before the big day. We haven't had a legitimate date night in quite a while, so I'm very excited! Thanks Terry and Donnita for helping us out! We're so thankful for this time away from home, especially after the past few grueling days.

So please join us in our prayer for Elijah's snot to be gone tomorrow!! Thank you. And thanks for checking in. We love you all.

17 comments:

TimnKatienElinSam said...

Yay for no fever and for date night. Megan, I think I can safely say that you have the BEST boss in the world (mine is a close second). Any need for a DDS at your job?!

Have a great night out...you deserve it!!!

Love,
the Yoders

Anonymous said...

Enjoy dinner! Thank you for the updates. We continue to think of you all often and send our love!

The Portas said...

Yes, I do have the best boss and the best employer. I am VERY lucky!!!! Thank you thank you Zinpro, Mike Anderson, Terry Ward and Mary Lou! My life would be sooo different (not in a good way) without you three!

Just a smalltown girl said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Your little boy is SOOOOO cute! I see he has the same problem my brother had. It's so great to see that this horrible thing called CHD doesn't take them all. Sometimes it seems I hear a lot of the stories of loss, it's nice to hear the good stories too.

We actually live in Wisconsin. About 2 hours east of Mpls, Mpls is where we were when my brother was sick.

~Hailey
http://www.alexandersheart.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Lots of prayers for the snot to be gone and for FIX IT Day to be on Tuesday...but if Dr. G thinks you should wait, then that is what is meant to be.

I am glad you are getting date night tonight...enjoy yourselves...you sure do deserve it.

Way to go Eli on no temp all day...what a champion you are.

Lots of love and prayers.
Samantha

Kathy said...

SNOT...BE GONE!!!
(there...I waved my magic wand...again!)
Guys...I hope than Mr. Elijah has a peaceful nights sleep and that he's a new man tomorrow...ready for pre-op (do you have a pre-op??)
Have a good night out...
Yeah...Joe needs a job with your company!!!
Love to you all,
Kathy

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Kathy.. hee hee..
she is so funny.

HAVE AN ENJOYABLE TIME AT DINNER!

Unknown said...

I will continue to pray for Mr. Elijah. I'm so glad you got a night out. I'll be checking in tomorrow.

Hugs,

Vanessa

Unknown said...

Elijah has really taken you on a rollercoaster ride! I'm glad that he's doing better. Your last post about leaving it all up to God is very uplifting. Thank you for sharing. I will always remember this whenever I'm feeling down.

Elijah, stay strong! God does have a plan and you'll be amazing!

Enjoy your date night Mama and Papa--you both deserve it!

Colin's Blog said...

So glad you both got a date night. Those are so important!! Be gone snot!! Praying for the dr's to make the right decision for your little guy.

The Domanicos

Anonymous said...

We are hoping praying that everything works the way it is supposed to for tomorrow's schedule!! I am sending out my prayer request to all my friends right now and and thinking of both you and Dan the juicy little man.
xoxoxo Lissa

Anonymous said...

OK, so we've all been praying for no snot....did the prayers work?? Hope Elijah's feeling better. Good luck with the pre-op appt! I know everyone's hoping for a fix tomorrow, but you said it best..it's not in our hands. That sure is something to live by!

Love,

Cindy

Andrea said...

I hope Elijah is all better today! I agree with you though Megan, if I had to bet I'd bet they want to postpone. But we'll leave it up to God and trust that whatever happens is his will. Let us know how the appointment goes!

Krista said...

Yea for progress...that's the best we can hope for! I keep checkin in to see about the surgery....whatver...we know it is best for Elijah...even if it drives us completely crazy!

Praise God for your boss...and your company! A much needed blessing in the midst of all of this!

Anonymous said...

I came here via a link posted on Emma Kubiak's CaringBridge page to offer a prayer for Elijah. May God watch over him during his surgery and during the recovery period. Thinking of you all and sending healing wishes from the U.K.

love, Nigel XXX

Jane said...

Praying for you guys and anxiously checking for an update on your appointment...

Samantha said...

Just waiting to hear what Dr. G had to say today...lots of prayers to you all!

Love ya!
Samantha