Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Clean teeth

I took Elijah to the dentist yesterday for a cleaning. I saw signs of anxiety starting to brew when we got there, but thankfully the most caring human being on planet Earth cleaned his teeth. He wanted to touch and explore EVERY instrument that was going into his mouth before it went into his mouth. And she was super patient and understanding about that. Before we started, I let her know that he recently experienced a traumatic hospital stay and that he was extra anxious. She was awesome with him.

I was so proud of my brave boy! He did great and he trusted me when I told him nobody was going to hurt him. He even sat in the chair alone and he reclined without fighting. This was huge! Being in a submissive position like that is terrifying for him.

His teeth looked great! We have always been diligent about keeping them clean because we certainly don't want to add dental woes to his list. He got a prize and a new toothbrush and a sticker and he was very proud of himself for being such a big boy.

Some funnies.. The first thing he said to the dentist was, "I have twenty teeth!" She looked at me like, WHAT. Then he pointed to the exit sign and said, "That says EXIT!" Ok, Elijah, stop showing off. While he was getting his teeth cleaned, he said some of the cutest things. The lady asked him if he had any brothers or sisters and he said, "Yes, I have one Sammy. He's wittle."

Tomorrow is the big ENT appointment. Dr. S has been known to not be so gentle with us, so I'm praying he's feeling extra compassionate. We could possibly hear scary things tomorrow, which has my tummy in knots. I'm praying for good news and a gentle doctor and a peaceful Elijah.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Praying for gentleness today.

Cecilia said...

Good luck for Elijah's ENT appointment!

jencooper said...

Hope everything goes well at the appointment. We will be praying!!

Glad to hear that the teeth cleaning went well. We are diligent too, but Gracie got her mothers teeth...ugh.