Thursday, July 21, 2011

The newest cooking network star

Elijah has needed his share of discipline lately. This kid is SO. STRONG. WILLED. The way we need to discipline him daily is the way my parents had to discipline me...I don't know, twice. One of the things he has learned to do when we are talking to him after a time-out is to distract us. One of his distraction methods involves crossing his eyes. It drives me crazy!



Most of the time when I'm with Elijah, I am smiling. Here is something that has made me smile lately..

I occaaaaaasionally like to turn on a cooking show. A few weeks ago, instead of asking to watch Despicable Me or Little Einsteins, Elijah has started asking me if he can watch a cooking show. :) He even knows all of the hosts' names. He knows that Paula Deen likes to say, "Y'all," and he knows that Rachel Ray likes to make burgers. The other day he said, "Hey Mom, will you please check if 'Guy's Big Bite' is on?" Ok, I didn't even know that was the name of his show!

I do enjoy lounging on the couch with my oldest boy to enjoy a cooking show with him, but what inevitably follows our viewing is a re-enactment. Elijah goes into the kitchen and gets out bowls, spoons, measuring cups, tomatoes, cheese, sugar, whatever his little hands can reach. I will hear, "Ok, y'all, now we want to add one cup of sugar. And a wittle bit of cheese. And there, we will pop it in the oven!" This is all great and cute unless it coincides with dinner-time, when his meal becomes part of his show and his apple sauce is being mixed in with his milk, which has been dumped into his mac & cheese.

The other day I was making something in the kitchen, and E decided he wanted to make something right along with me. So he did his little cooking routine and asked me, "Mom, what show is THIS?" I said, "Hmm, I think it's called the Mommy-Elijah Cooking Show!" He thought that was great, so now every time he "cooks," he tells me that I'm watching the Mommy-Elijah Cooking Show.

Someday we will make that happen! :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That sounds like an awesome plan!
Same with Evan as far as discipline goes.

Cecilia said...

I can't wait to watch the Mommy-Elijah Cooking Show one day!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cooking school is in his future? How cooking show sounds like a plan also.
Pat Domanico

The Willaerts said...

Love, Love, Love this!
xoxo
Cara