Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pre-op & a naked baby

We wanted to get some good naked baby pics before Elijah has a scar on his chest. He has been SUCH a good, happy boy today. He's such a good sport considering all the poking that was done to him at the hospital earlier. Below the pics, Dan wrote an update on how pre-op went today.






Hey everyone, we just got back from Elijah's pre-op appt and all went well (except for the blood drawing and too much poking of my boy and me punching out a nurse, okay that last part didn't happen but almost).

Here are the details we have now (due to tiredness and speedy typing this will not be grammatically correct): he'll go in at 8 tomorrow morning and the actual sugery will take about 2-3 hrs but we won't see him for 5-6 hours due to putting him on a bypass machine so they can stop his heart and drain it to operate on it. That process takes time and they'll have to watch closely as they "restart" his heart afterwards to make sure there are no leaks. He'll be in the icu for 2-3 days and then a recovery room for another 7-11 days for a total hospital stay of 10-14 days. One of the things that may keep him in the hospital an extra few days may be his kidney "issue" (the fact that he has only one). His little body has to process a lot of fluids, especially during and after surgery, so we will just have to monitor that and see how it goes. Dr. G feels confident that they'll be able to close his chest after surgery (infants often have to be kept open due to swelling). During the surgery the main thing they will do is put a straw-like tube where his pulmonary valve should have developed, then they will see if they can "tie off" some of the collaterals that his body grew, to compensate for not having that valve, to the pulmonary artery. There are obvious risks of stroke and infection and other complications but the Dr. said he felt Elijah has a %90+ chance for a successful procedure.

After this surgery he'll have another one in 6 mos to a year during which they will fix the hole in his heart and replace the straw-like tube with a pig or cadaver valve. This valve will work for a few years until he grows out of it and then it will be replaced when he's around 5 yrs old, and hopefully the last step will be putting in an adult sized valve when he's around 15.

Tomorrow is the first step and it's the biggest/most dangerous but we are feeling very confident and faithful. We are so grateful for all the support we have been receiving, it's truly amazing to feel the care and love of so many. God has been good to us and He will continue to carry us through this trial.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support.

We will continue to update the blog as Elijah progresses through this first operation.

ps. Megan is beautiful and amazing and Elijah Loooves smiling at his mommy!

8 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I know what you mean about wanting to "punch out the nurse" during the sticking your boy! The way you said it just cracks me up!!!!

My husband Mike was always the brave one that would sit with Matthew during hours of poking...
I simply couldn't do it.. I can't bear to watch my baby being poked and poked and poked....

Mike always said he felt emotionally drained after watching it... it's soo hard!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that helped me was knowing that our baby would never ever remember it. They don't anticipate what is coming either... like we do.

What a great post, BTW...

the very end made me all teary...

you always say such sweet things about your wife.

You are such a cute family.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I'm sorry for writing again... :-/
but I forgot to say something ...

gotta love those nekid baby pics...
too cute... I just want to kiss him!!

and don't even worry about that "special zipper" he'll have after the surgery ...
we can hardly see Matthew's ...they heal up sooo good.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I found my way here from Terri's blog about Matthew. My daughter Sophia has virtually the same type of defects that your son does. She is 29 months old and has had a three heart surgeries, so far. She is doing really well since the last one. I will add you to my blogroll. And will be following Elijah's progress with surgery. If you get a chance and want to see our story and possibly learn from our experience check out my blog about Sophia. Your family is in our thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Sorry...the url to Sophia's page is:
http://www.iheartsophia.com/blog

Tracy said...

I found your site through Sophia's blog (Michael).

That's quite a handsome little man you have there. My son was also born with a chd, although a much different one than Elijah. I will keep you all in my thoughts & prayers and keep checking on sweet little Elijah ... have faith that God will keep watch over him.

The Portas said...

I do have the sweetest hubby EVER. :)

I'm sooo glad to have the opportunity to chat with all you other heart parents. Once things have settled down for us here, after the surgery, we look forward to doing that.

Ok, we're off to bed, to attempt to get some sleep tonight. I held our little man for as long as I could before putting him to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a long day!

Good night!
Megan

Sarah said...

Oh Megan - I remember holding Evan long after he fell asleep the night before his surgery.... I'm praying for little Elijah today and Mommy and Daddy too!

Jackie said...

It is 8:55 CST, on Friday, May 25. Just to let you know we're lifting all of you in prayer.