Thursday, May 31, 2007

Another day


What a sweet boy--lovin' on Baloo the Bear



Eli had a good, quiet night. His xray looked good this morning--even better than yesterday's. So far we've talked to all three docs (separately) and they all sounded positive about trying extubation again today. Now the three of them need to talk to one another to make a final decision. They are being super cautious this time, which is good. It looks like Elijah isn't breathing nearly as hard as he has been the past few days. Personally, with my honorary medical degree that I should have by this point (just kidding), I think he's ready. Yesterday I wasn't so sure, but today I think he is. He isn't on any sedation right now, so it's difficult to see him squirming and basically having to hold him down so the tube doesn't move around and bother him too much. Hurry up and make a decision!!

His oxygen sats are kind of high for him right now--low 90's. That may mean that he is still getting too much bloodflow to his lungs, in which case they MAY have to do another catheterization and put a coil into one of his collaterals. Hopefully we do not have to go that route.

His prelim cultures came back showing no infection, so that's a good sign. He is still getting gunky secretions out of his lungs, but it sounds like that is pretty normal, considering all the moving around Dr. Moga had to do to his lungs while he was working in there. Once he gets the vent out, he can start coughing some of that junk out on his own.

I CANNOT WAIT to hold him! I pray pray pray that I can do that today. We will update again once the three docs have collaborated. Hopefully that is soon so we can stop doing wiggle management. :)

p.s. I had a bit of an altercation with a nurse this morning. My mommy side kicked in and I knew she was being careless and I almost punched her lights out. Don't mess with me right now. Grrrrrrr....

6 comments:

Molly said...

Checking Eli's progress often and continuing to pray for his recovery and for the both of you to remain strong.
Be Well

Anonymous said...

We are thinking of all of you and praying you are able to hold him and see his beautiful smile very soon.
love, ellen, eric & baby leo

Sarah said...

Honorary medical degree, wiggle management and wanting to knock a nurse out, I can so relate to all of these comments during Evan's hospital stay. It is so hard to comfort them when you cannot hold them. I continue to pray and hope to return later to see that extubation was a success and a picture of Mommy & Daddy holding that sweet baby with a smile on all three faces.

Anonymous said...

To some degree we can relate having had our ups and downs with Doug. However we really cannot imagine what you are going through. We will keep all of you in our daily prayers.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Baby looks sooo sweet....

ahh haaa...
the "mommy part" came out....

isn't that the truth...


don't blame you.... when you see a nurse being careless ... not a comfortable feeling ... you have to say something!!

Praying for extubation today!

Anonymous said...

we are still following and hoping for the best. Hopefully the next post will include a picture of little Eli being cradled in mommy's arms.

A quick comment on the altercation. I am not at all a physical person and am really pretty tolerant of people. But once I was questioning a treatment while Sophia was hospitalized. Because of my honorary degree, I can do that. Anyway, I saw real fear in the nurse's eyes and I think she even flinched like she thought I might hurt her. I guess a parent's instinct to protect their child can seem pretty wrathful.

We are still praying for everybody.

BTW- I liked the "grrrr".