Monday, May 28, 2007

The tube is back...

We had Elijah off the ventilator for about 2.5 hours before we realized we needed to put him back on it. :( He was breathing extra hard and straining his tummy muscles for each breath, so they did an xray and found that his lungs are still a little wet. Sooooo......the breathing tube is going back in for a while (not sure how long), which means more sedation. We are having a hard time with all of this right now. I JUST WANT MY BABY BACK!!! It's sooo hard not being able to hold him and to see him so doped up and to have that stupid tube back down his poor throat again. Poor little man.

Please pray that his lungs dry out quickly and that they can get him back off the vent very soon.

p.s. It is now a little later in the evening and it has been a rough rough day for us. Eli is all dopey and sedated and that is SO HARD to see after he was so alert this morning. He's a very unhappy guy right now and we may have to sit through another couple days of this. It turns out that part of his lung collapsed when the ventilator was taken out this morning, so that needs to fix itself and he also needs to get a little bit stronger.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the extubation didn't take. We have had the same experience with Sophia. Unfortunately, I have not read a single story that wasn't a up/down and back/forth ride. I think that is just the nature of these things. Try to stay positive and realize that recovery is a series of two steps forward and one step back. We will continue to keep your family and Elijah in our thoughts and prayers.

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Michael is "right on" with his comment ....

we have had the same exact experiences with Matthew ...

it's not fun at all .... the whole experience is difficult/painful for us parents...

hills and valleys ... two steps forward... one step back...

We had a nurse at Stanford tell us to just ride it out like a flamingo..

stand on one foot... hold your arms out and just go with the flow ....

believe it or not... it helped...

when times got rough... I just tried to go with it... and know it my heart that it was temporary...

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

"know IN my heart"

The Portas said...

Thanks for the perspective. I knew coming in that it may get difficult, but I had no idea how hard it would be to see my baby like this. :( :(

Jackie said...

Not ever having gone through an experience such as this, I don't even know how to comment.

All I can say is my prayers are with you and Baby Elijah!

Blessings on meg-dan-n-eli!

Unknown said...

We've been following you the whole way. I just got home and read the latest development...:-( But I KNOW AND KNOW AND KNOW that prayers do not fail. So, that said, this is just a bump in the road. I went to Michael's blog and read about him a while too...I was inspired and Im sure his story gives you much hope. Seems he's been thru a lot but he looks great! So stay strong, you'll get thru this too.

Anonymous said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you all during this difficult time. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for both of you! Elijah will get past this hurdle as he is a trooper from all he has been through already. Hold strong!