Monday, January 26, 2009

Family love



Aside from Dan's and my little getaway to Asheville (more on that tomorrow), we mostly just hung out with my parents and brother and we stayed pretty close to home while we were in Charlotte. We played games in the evenings after Elijah went to bed. My brother made us some very yummy, elaborate meals and desserts that put a few extra pounds on my already extra pounded body. I ate an entire (huge) bag of M&M's within the first 24 hours we were there. Dan and I took a nap almost every afternoon. I finished one book and started another. Dan did a lot of reading about Abe Lincoln. We took a few walks on a scenic path near their house. Elijah got A TON of love from Grammie, Gramps and Uncle Joel, and even from some complete strangers (strangers to us, anyway).


Yes, it snowed while we were there. Of course it did! It stayed pretty warm, though, so we didn't have any complaints. Well, warm for us. Everyone in Charlotte was freezing, but we thought it was heavenly!


Saying "HHIIIIIiiiiiiiiii!!" for probably the 236,439th time that day..

One of the things I realized after this trip was how much I love watching other people wholeheartedly loving my son. Of course Dan and I love Elijah with all our hearts and we are always eager to tell funny Elijah stories and dote on his every word and action. This is expected of us because we are his parents and that's what parents do. Seeing my family love him in this same way means so much to me. I am so happy that Elijah is surrounded by such a loving family. So many people love him and think he is the most wonderful thing on the planet, and that brings me a lot of happiness. Because, well...he IS the most wonderful thing on the planet!


Enjoying a book by the fire...while standing!


A really big treat for us was meeting Mike and Michelle. We have been following each others' blogs for quite a while now. They have a son with some heart/health problems, so we can relate to each other in a lot of ways. They live about an hour north of Charlotte and came down for an NBA game one afternoon, so we met them afterward for dinner. They are such nice people, and so inspiring. It was really fun to get to know them. They were even generous enough to give Elijah a new truck book, which he LOVES.


We have this same book at home and Elijah did the same thing to Grammie's copy that he did to ours....he bit Jesus' head off. Poor Jesus doesn't have part of his head and face!


Elijah absolutely loved G'ma and G'pa's house. So many new things to explore! One of his favorite spots was the pantry (when he wasn't obsessed with the door of the pantry). He discovered the bag of potatoes in there and loved hiding them in various cupboards around the kitchen. In this picture he is hugging his beloved potato. A few minutes later, he was dipping it into the dog's water dish.


This is the face he makes when he says, "Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!" I don't know if that's what he means to say, but that's what it sounds like...and it's the cutest thing.


Snuggle Time with Grandpa before bed. I love this pic. Oh, and there's Uncle Joel in the background slaving over another awesome meal for us.


Juan the Puppy wasn't so sure of this little person in the house who was getting all of the attention. He made sure to let everyone know he was still around. I'm sure he was happy to say goodbye to the Portas!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

So good to see Elijah pics... I've missed you guys!

mina said...

I hope the puppy wasn't too jealous, Elijah needs his share too! Cute pics.

my life: said...

You are such a social blogger! When are you coming to my corner of the world? :0)

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are back! You were missed! Elijah is looking like such a little boy now. Where has the time gone!?

Oh...we have pictures of Steph as a toddler and Jacob hanging out in grandma's pantry. There must be something fascinating about a grandparents' pantry!

Welcome home!

Sending lots of love,

Cindy

Hollie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful break from your arctic weather. I think that -21 is just too cold for about anyone! I remember growing up in the midwest with temps like that and it isn't fun. Elijah is just so cute. I love looking at the pictures you post, I can almost feel his personality jumping out of the photos! Glad you made it home safe and sound. Give him a great big hug from us!
Hollie, Ben and Elaina

Cecilia said...

Good pictures of Elijah but next time why not show yourself and Dan, I can't wait to see your pretty face again!

jencooper said...

Gracie LOVES to play in the pantry. Seriously - I can't keep her out of it!! That is funny.

I am loving the new pictures of the chunky monkey!! He is adorable!!

I am so happy that you were able to get away for a couple of days.

<3,
Jennifer

PS - What did you think about LOST?

Samantha said...

Those pictures are SO CUTE! But you knew that already. He is really growing up Megan...so precious and so adorable. I love his sweet smiling face. I am glad you guys had fun on vacation...you needed a nice time!

Much love,
Samantha

Tina:0) said...

I agree with Amber, when are you coming out to our area?! We could all meet up! But only if you bring Elijah!! (LoL)

He's growing up WAY to fast!! That hair cut makes him look ready for Harvard!!

Hope you're settling back in! Give him big hugs for us!