Thursday, January 8, 2009

Love

Dan and I witnessed the sweetest display of love yesterday..

I had an over-night work meeting on Tues-Wed, so I wasn't able to see Elijah all day or night on Tuesday. I got home on Wednesday in time to get him up from his nap. He is usually always super happy to see me when he wakes up, so I figured he would be extra happy since we hadn't seen each other in a day and a half. Instead, he was a little whiney and he wasn't his usual smiley self. Sometimes he gets like this if we don't let him have a few minutes of alone time in bed before getting him out. He must have needed just a few more minutes to himself.

I brought him into the loft and played with him and read him a book, but he still wasn't acting like himself. He laid down on his side facing away from me and started paging through a book. I said to Dan, "I feel like he's not happy to see me." Elijah IMMEDIATELY turned toward me and gave my leg a big hug, since it was the closest body part of mine to him. Then he reached eagerly at me, so I picked him up. He wrapped his arms so super tightly around my neck and buried his head in my hair. He stayed like that for a good ten seconds. The whole time, Dan and I were looking at each other with our mouths hanging open.

Not only did Elijah understand the meaning of the feelings I had expressed, but he knew exactly what he needed to do to make me feel better. Amazing! I love that kid.


p.s. Cough not gone, but getting better..

p.p.s. Elijah totally blew away his therapy evaluator last night when I told her the above story and when she saw that Elijah knows a lot of the letters of the alphabet. She said she was "amazed" by his receptive and retention skills and that he is above his age level in these categories. Speech is another story, but it's definitely coming along.

15 comments:

my life: said...

I LOVE that!!! He melts my heart...way over here. :0) Thank you so much for sharing that...give him hugs from me...
A M B E R...Now that I know he will understand! ;^)

Tina:0) said...

O - M - G!!! Every Momma's dream to have a cuddle bug love on her like your little man!

Isn't it sooo much fun when therapists are "amazed", etc. at what our kids can do?!

Give him some squeezes from us!

Samantha said...

Tears...that is so sweet! I am so happy to know that he is a lover baby! What a sweet, precious gift he is!

Much love,
Samantha

Kathy said...

He's such a sweetheart!
I can't even get Isaac to understand what a "nose" is, where it is, and to point to it....
I'm jealous.
I'd tell him all day that I needed hugs....
oh...I'm glad you're back...you owe us pictures!!!

Unknown said...

OH that is so sweet, what a loving boy and he understands what you said that is awsome. What a cutie pie.


Karen

mina said...

What a heartwarming story. Sweet, sweet Elijah!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet boy! I want to snuggle him, too!

Sorry your cough isn't gone. It has to go away eventually, though...doesn't it???

Love ya!

Cindy

Unknown said...

He sure loves his momma!

That is great to hear about his receptive and retention skills. Arianna is the same way.

Sarah said...

That brought tears to my eyes... I know that made you feel incredible. Keep showing those evalulators Elijah!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is AWWWWWWWW! Elijah is such a sweet little boy, and he's so good to express his appreciation and love towards his Mama.

Anonymous said...

I need an Elijah fix soon! Such a sweet, sweet, SMART boy! xoxo Cara

Anonymous said...

That has got to be the sweetest story. Thanks for sharing it. What a QT you have there. Sue

Anonymous said...

That has got to be the sweetest story. Thanks for sharing it. What a QT you have there. Sue

jencooper said...

Okay, it is official. I am buying a plane ticket and coming to get my hugs!! Seriously....he can hug on me and then he and Gracie can throw tantrums together!!

Thanks for making my heart smile today!

<3,
Jennifer

Cecilia said...

Really amazing because he understands and cares for your feelings. He is such a sweetheart with wisdom.

Hugs and kisses from Cecilia xx