Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Imagination

(Sarah, I got this idea from your recent post!)

Elijah seems to have such a creative mind and a vivid imagination. Of course, since he can't talk yet I don't know this for sure, but it really seems to be the case. He constantly jabbers to himself in an animated tone with lots of inflection and unique sounds. Sometimes his fingers/hands talk to each other, sometimes they talk to him and sometimes they talk to objects around him. His hands like to "sit" in his toy cars/trucks while his fingers talk to him as they drive. I cannot imagine what must be going on in his mind, but it is so interesting to watch and listen to all of this.

I wonder if this sort of thing is genetic. If Elijah is anything like me, he is in for a lifetime of weirdness. :) I discovered my group of imaginary friends at a very young age: Mimi, Tenspeed, Vodka (no idea where I got this name as a 2-year-old) and Susie. To this day I could draw a picture of what each of them look like, in detail. Mimi was the leader and she occasionally liked to drive the other three across the country in her white van to go on vacations. While they were away on their journeys I would get sad and miss them. My little team of invisible pals was the first sign that my imagination was a little bit crazy. Then other things came.. When my dad would take a few minutes too long in the store (which was and still is common...right, family?), I would sit in the car and imagine Bert and Ernie's evil twins coming into the store through the ceiling in a spaceship and abducting him. By the time he got back to the car I would be sobbing crazily, believing he was already a resident of Evil Sesame Street. I have also always had super vivid, crazy dreams. I still vividly remember dreams I had when I was three years old. Now, years later, and having practiced a lot, I can do some pretty cool stuff in my dreams. I can control dreams...I can go skydiving and flying whenever I want to, and I can do lots of other things that I won't mention because you'll really think I'm insane. I once even talked to Elijah as an adult in a dream (very cool)!

Now that you all know I'm crazy.. I've been wondering lately if Elijah will have a vivid imagination, too, and if some day he will be telling his friends and family about the time he convinced himself that his mom was a vampire.

Did anyone else have imaginary friends? Anyone else whose imagination convinces them of impossible things? Am I the only weird one? Share your stories! (If there are no stories, I'll check myself in..)

11 comments:

jencooper said...

Oh....Bennett would fit right in! Karina Orion is his "sister that didn't die who lives in Africa because she is running from the elephants." Orion Karina is his "sister that died and lives with Jesus." There is also a boy who doesn't have a name yet. They are always running in Africa somewhere. Plus, he is constantly making up stories and scenarios.

And, I will admit that he comes by it honestly. My imagination runs rampant....always dreaming up crazy stories...hearing noises...dreams that freak me out.

Thanks for all of the new pics. He is adorable. I love seeing that handsome boy!!

<3,
Jennifer

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

I think you need to check yourself in Megan... hahaha
Joking... I never had imaginary friends but I have always have a wicked imagination...my thoughts arent always pure tho... I imagine some horrible things and sometimes they shock me...
wierd huh...
Hugs to you and yours... And I love the pics of Eli in the bath.. he looks soooooooooo happy!

Sarah said...

Oh LOL... I only remember having a few imaginary friends very briefly... when I was 3 or 4 I had twins (there were 3 babies LOL) one of their names was Inger and I complained to my Mom that my husband never helped me and that I always was carrying two and dragging one by my leg. You, Elijah and Evan definately are more crazy than I, hehehehehe.

The Willaerts said...

Kindred spirit! I had imaginary friends as well. . .or more like imaginary animals. There was a panther and a unicorn (with wings) and a harpe eagle. They could all do amazing things and would run along the side of our car or fly as they were too big to sit inside with me. When I was swimming my dolphin friend would hang out with me. The coolest thing I can see that Jade is just like me in that way. Loves animals and would rather play with animal toys than doll or barbies.

I would also imagine crazy things happening to people when time took too long or something happened that I couldn't quite grasp. Unfortunately my memories aren't vivid, I know I did these things, but it's hard to remember specifics so in that way I am envious of you.

No need to check yourself in because that would mean I'd have to go too! xoxox

il Dan said...

Well, you did willingly marry me. That's the only thing that should make you "check yourself in."

Kathy said...

I didn't have imaginary friends....I LIVED in an imaginary house with a crazy mom, dad, and five other kids! No need to invent crazies...I am still surrounded by all of them.
(we've probably entered your dreams...and you didn't even know it!)

That's so sweet how Elijah plays and talks to himself and his toys. I can't wait for Isaac to get to that stage!!

Tina:0) said...

Vaeh seems to be playing more imaginative - with a Sumo of the Opera & Bob the Tomato toy (aka - "Bobby"!). Its so cute 'cause you can tell she's doing the 'belly ringer move from Sumo!

BTW - Vaeh & Gabby have the same letters/numbers for the bath tub! Give that little man some hugs from us!

Anonymous said...

Megan--
You didn't mention the time that Mimi jumped out of the church
balcony and caused a ruckus at St.
Johns, Scb. My customers make me
laugh with their unreasonable
requests, but the preceding made my
evening. As I get older, my dreams
become more frequent, vivid and
weird. So, you're probably in for
the same. Love, Dad

mina said...

Quite an imagination! I didn't have imaginary friends, but spent most of my childhood wrapped up in books, until I almost felt I was one of the characters. And we all have a bit of 'crazy' in us!

Anonymous said...

I didn't have imaginary friends, but my sister had one that lived under her bed for years when she was little. (she's 9 yrs younger than me) I can't remember her name, but apparently she messed up her room and my sis would argue with her about all kinds of things. I thought she was nuts. Maybe you two should have a talk! ;)

I wish I could control my dreams. I'm always wishing I didn't have them so often because I feel like they make me not sleep as well. Not sure if that's true or not, but they're always so intense. Maybe you should write a dream book!!

Love the new Eli pictures. I just want to kiss that face of his!

Lots of love,

Cindy

Unknown said...

Sounds like alot of fun...but no imaginary friends here my friend. I hope Elijah has an imagination like you though!