Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Important time



We don't spend nights away from Elijah very often, but when we do, it is pretty difficult for me. I don't like being away from him. I always feel like I'm missing a limb. However. I do strongly believe that it is healthy to be away from him on occasion. Dan and I make it a priority to have Overnight Babyless Time a couple times a year. As much as I miss Elijah when we do this, it is always such a nice little refresher for us as a couple and I come back feeling like Dan and I could take on the world.

We are fortunate enough to have family members who offer to help out with caring for Elijah while we get away. I am very grateful for this. My sister Lissa has been an eager overnight babysitter for us many times. Dan's parents have also helped out, and now we can say that my dad and stepmom have, too!

While we were visiting them last week, we saw an opportunity to get away for a few nights. My parents were doting over Elijah more than I've ever seen anyone dote before, so I'm thinking they were more than happy to shoo us out of the house for a while.

We drove two hours into the mountains of North Carolina to visit the town of Asheville. It was beautiful, wonderful, peaceful, gorgeous.. We stayed for two nights, and we had an amazing time. I still feel like I'm on my Asheville high. I am seeing Dan a little bit differently than I did before we left for our trip. I keep reminding myself that we don't always have to take life so seriously, as I think about being weird and silly with my hubby just a few days ago. It is really easy to get caught up in the repetition of life. For us, having these away times is hugely important.


You may have heard of the Biltmore Estate. We spent most of our trip time touring the house and the grounds and even the winery. All of it is breathtaking. Our time there is something I will never ever forget. This is a photo of the Biltmore land as we drove up the road toward the mansion. The land takes up 8,000 acres and once upon a time took up 125,000 acres!


The winery was really cool. We were able to sample a few of the wines and Dan and I each walked away with our favorite bottle in hand.


There is a little farming area where you can see equipment that was used 100 years ago. The Biltmore has always grown its own crops and even raised its own animals. It was a very self-sufficient estate.


The huge trees are sooo beautiful..


This is the front of the Biltmore house. We were unable to take pics inside, but let me just say that this house is unbelievable. The innovation that took place in the time it was built is amazing. Everything inside the house is over the top excessive, especially for the year 1895, but wow...totally unique and GORGEOUS! The house has a total of 250 rooms and even has a swimming pool and a bowling alley in the basement.


Outside view of the grand staircase




View from the back of the house


This is the conservatory. I didn't take many photos of the many gardens because there isn't much growing in them right now, but I imagine in the spring they are gorgeous.


Resting. There are a ton of walking trails around the house, so we took advantage of those.


Kissy picture :)


Bass Pond. It was covered with a thin layer of ice (that my crazy husband stood on). It is so pretty! Spending time walking around this pond was like a little slice of heaven.


We sat at the bottom of the waterfall that runs off of Bass Pond for a long long time. It was one of the most peaceful moments of the trip. See the rainbow?


A little Bass Pond peninsula..


The trees and plants are all so unique and beautiful. I took 400+ pictures! Then my camera batteries died and I realized the charger was AT HOME! Oh well, I think 400 is plenty.

Tomorrow will be the Silly Photos installment. You'll get to see how very weird Dan and I are. Elijah, you have some very strange parents!

9 comments:

Ehlan said...

How wonderful! I too always miss Olivia like crazy when we get a chance to spend time away, but like you, always am so refreshed when I come home! Twill be tough again with a newborn for a while, but ever so sweet when we can again! Looks like you guys had a beautiful time--at a beautiful place. And Elijah is turning into such a little man!

mina said...

What a gorgeous place. I hope to see it some day too...... We will probably be waiting until our 25th anniversary, as things seem right now! It's great that you and Dan manage to take some time to yourselves, very healthy!

Mami Adame said...

Wow, I'm jealous! It looked so beautiful, and you guys make such a cute happy couple! Good for you for making time for each other! Alex and I try to have an evening out every so often, sad thing is we are usually so tired, we just want to stay home and cuddle ;)
Angelina's Bday is March 1st, when is Elijah's?

Kathy said...

oh...It looks like you had a great get-away! You guys have such a good balance on things...you're my idols!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

What a wonderful place to go! And yes we all need time out to enjoy each other again...
You are looking amazing girl...

Cecilia said...

Wow what a beautiful place! I can't wait to see the silly photos of yourself and Dan...

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Would you believe we've been here 3 years and have NEVER gone to the Biltmore House! Sad - I know!

Unknown said...

HOw wonderful, Sounds like you guys had a really nice relaxing Vacation and had alot of fun. It was well deserved.

Unknown said...

I totally agree on needing more couple time. I think we will try to start doing that more often ourself. However one night is enough for me. I have Arianna withdrawls.

I love all the pictures. This how is so beautiful I can only imagine what the inside is like.