Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Croup: Season 3, Round 3



Lately I've been thinking that it has been a while since we've gotten a visit from Croup. That thought is always followed by me wondering when his next visit will be.

I need not wonder anymore because he came last night, that trusty friend of ours! We gave Elijah a racemic epi neb at 9:00 and high-dose Pulmicort at 3:30. I felt a little calmer last night than in the past. I'm not sure why that was. Maybe after 84 times (ok, slight exaggeration) the stress starts to level off?

I realized last night that if we could only figure out a way to get Elijah to CALM DOWN when he's having an episode, things would be much less scary. When he isn't screaming his head off, he can usually breathe normally for a few breaths at a time. Hmm, I'll have to ponder this.

The second time I went into his bedroom after hearing the stridor, I went to grab him and he said in such a sad little voice, "Sorry, Mom." Oohhhhh. He feels bad about this?! I told him to NEVER feel bad about sickness and gave him a squeeze. Then the frantic screaming started and we couldn't get him to calm down or breathe.

Thanks to his medication and the cold outside air, everything turned out just fine.

And ironically, the place that has kept our little boy alive time and time again, Minneapolis Children's Hospital, is doing a Give To The Max day TODAY. If you are willing and able to donate anything at all, $10 even, please do so!

3 comments:

my life: said...

Oh my goodness...poor Elijah! Momma...I am glad you are getting your stuff together. ;0) Poor E though...I can only imagine the scary feelings of thinking he can't breathe. :0( Yucky!

Cecilia said...

Hugs to Elijah, hope he feels better now.

Unknown said...

I hope Elijah gets to feeling better real soon. That just makes your heart melt when he says sorry for getting sick. Poor little boy. Hugs coming your way to the both of you.