Friday, November 5, 2010

Will she ever be done talking about IEPs?

Based on some of the comments I received on my last post, I have to say a few tiny things. First of all, I got the vibe during the IEP meeting that a handful of people in the room thought Dan and I were slacker parents. Dan got the same feeling, so I wasn't alone. And now that I have had a conversation with Elijah's teacher, I know that our instincts were likely fairly accurate.

Also, I understand that it is required for teachers to compare each child to "typical children of the same age" in IEPs. What I did not understand was why it had to be stated quite so harshly, especially for a child with such a mottled medical past.

With that off my chest..

I both emailed and spoke with Elijah's teacher since my meltdown. I shared with her how extensive Elijah's medical history was and also that I thought some of the statements in his IEP were unnecessary due to his history. She had NO IDEA the extent of his history and thanked me more than once for providing the insight. She admitted that they got caught up in all of his many delays, compiled with lack of self-help, and didn't see the full picture.

She completely rewrote his IEP, which was extremely nice of her to do. And this really isn't what matters to me. It matters that the adults who care for him at school understand his history and the reason for his many delays. And now that they do, I feel much better. She told me that she has never had a student who has had so many surgeries and hospitalizations. I told her that we assumed there were a lot of children in the special education program with similar histories. So, it was good to clear that up!

I feel heard and I no longer feel judged or like people are believing me to be an inadequate parent. And I now know that Elijah is in very good hands. His teacher showed me that she genuinely cares about him and that brings me immense comfort.

3 comments:

jencooper said...

Good for you for contacting the teacher. It sounds like she is a wonderful person! It is a big pain to rewrite IEP's so that was extremely nice of her!

Every state has their own laws - as well as the federal ones - but I know that when I write IEP's it is based solely on the child and not on what "everyone else" is doing.

I am so glad that you feel better. You call or email me if you ever have issues again and I will do my best to help you out.

Victoria Nelson said...

megan,
when i read your post last night, i meant to comment right away but then the little miss called me away from the computer.
anyway, what i wanted to say was that i totally felt the same way you did (of course you felt it 100 times more cause you're mama), but i understood the way it made you feel.
it came off harshly, and i would be upset too.
im proud of you for contacting them and getting it off your chest - i think it's important for them to know.
you are such a good mama - there is no room in your life for someone to make you feel otherwise.
and elijah? oh, man. well, he is just about the cutest thing ever - happy, and doing well - that's ALL that matters. =)
know im here for you...
much love, my friend,
victoria

Cecilia said...

Megan, don't be upset because you are such a good mama!

Hugs to you guys!!!