Monday, September 30, 2013

The scenic route

Our oldest boy could use your prayers. He is having a VERY difficult time right now. His behavior at school is getting worse by the week and home isn't any better. He spent the majority of his day in the school social worker's office today because he couldn't control himself in the classroom. He is being defiant with adults and also being disruptive by talking and giggling a lot. I haven't heard many positive things at all, and I feel sick to my stomach about it.

I know that he is exhausted and that is a big culprit. Sleep has always been tricky with him because keeping him rested is nearly impossible. He LITERALLY does not have the ability to sleep past 5:00-6:00am, so we are having to put him to bed at 6:00 every night in order for him to get adequate rest. Except, it's not always feasible to go to bed at 6:00 in the evening! Dan and I were both working on Saturday until 8:30, so Elijah and Sammy were with their auntie and cousins. By the time the boys got to bed it was 9:00 or 9:30. There's 3+ hours of lost sleep because guess what?! Elijah was up at 5:00 the next morning!

Yesterday I sat down and made a behavior chart for him, writing out specific behaviors that he needs to improve in order to earn rewards. Today was our first day of employing it, and BOOM! I feel like punching a hole through it. I called his pediatrician and chatted with her today. He needs help right now beyond anything we can offer. Dr. Judy gave me the name of a good child psychologist, and I'm waiting to hear back. I feel like that is a good first step. Employ the smart people! :)

He is struggling and we could all use prayers for peace, patience and wisdom. Oh and self-control and obedience. :) Before first grade started, I envisioned a gigantic swirling tub of turbulent water. I knew it would be rough, so when the first few weeks were so smooth I was thrown off. Turns out, that was the calm before the storm. Here we are, in the middle of the storm and trying to figure out how to help our boy.

Today on my way home from work I had the thought that this is going to be the year that we move mountains. Moving a mountain is not easy from what I hear, but I can imagine that a feeling of major accomplishment would follow. It's going to be a tough year, but I believe we will gain tons of understanding and make huge gains.

As we have always said about Elijah--we will get there! I saw a quote the other day that I loved and that I'm going to steal. We're taking the scenic route! We will be arriving at the same destination as everyone else, but via a much twistier, more adventurous path.

WE WILL GET THERE, Elijah, and we love you so very much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Megan (I'm sorry if I misspelled your name), I am so sorry you all are struggling! I will definitely keep Elijah (and the rest of the family!) in my prayers! Hugs to you all!!

Maggie:)

jencooper said...

Love you Mama. Hang in there. Mountains are tough to move...but you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Praying for your family. Please also consider what you are feeding your boys. Does Elijah have food allergies? This can make matters worse.