Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Croup: Season 6, Episode 2 (Elijah)

How ironic that the post I wrote yesterday was titled "breathing again" because Elijah was NOT breathing well through the night last night. What are the chances that he would get sick on his very first day back to school after being away for two months?! Sammy had been sick yesterday with a low-grade fever and lacking a little energy, so I should have known it was coming. Right before bed last night I heard a suspicious sound when Elijah laughed and I said to Dan, "I'm predicting a croup night."

He was up at 9:00p struggling. We gave him an epi neb and I put him in bed with me. I could tell it was going to come back by the way he was breathing. Around midnight (I think?) it was bad again. We really really didn't want to give him another neb because two in a night means a trip to the ER. We bundled him up and Dan sat out in the cold with him for 10-15 minutes. It was better, but still not good. So I sat with him in a steamy bathroom for another 15 minutes. It was better yet, but still not gone. I put him back in bed with Dan and me and prayed the same prayer about a thousand times.

The stridor stayed with him through the night, but it wasn't bad enough to warrant an ER visit. He's such a good sport. He got scared a few times last night (not as scared as I was), but he never complained. Even when we made him sit in the below-zero temps in the middle of the night! You can still hear the stridor today, along with a little cough, so we kept him home from school. Hopefully he'll bounce back quickly and be ready to go back tomorrow!

Sammy is doing better today, too. Thankfully he has seemed pretty unfazed by his little bout of sickness. He still has an appetite, especially for CANDY. He does everything he can to get us to give him candy. "Uhhm, Mom? I slept REALLY really good last night and I even went potty when I woke up! So...can I have a treat for that?" How can I say no to such cute manipulation?

Please pray for healing for our cuties! Thanks for peeking in.

No comments: