Monday, March 30, 2009

Genetics

Elijah had an appointment with his genetics doctor this morning. Again, we have confirmation that we have the most wonderful doctors on planet Earth. She, like the rest of his doctors, is amazing with our little boy. She performed a basic exam on him, checking reflexes, listening to his heart, feeling around on his body a bit, weighing, measuring. She noted the main anomalies Elijah was born with: a solitary kidney, a heart defect, hypospadias, a sacral dimple. She noted a few other, smaller things: small ear canals, a funny toe, a large head, short limbs, gross motor delays, speech delays.

She said that looking at him, he looks 100% normal to her. Sometimes she can recognize facial features that would indicate a specific genetic disorder, but she can't see anything obvious when she looks at his beautiful little face. She said, "He looks just like you, except with a big head!" :)

At this point, we don't know if all of these weird big things and weird little things have a genetic explanation or if they are all just a fluke. The testing that was done two years ago came back completely normal. Now the resolution of the tests is better than it was back then, so she wants to run them again to be sure the results were accurate.

She also wants Elijah to see a pediatric neurologist. He has very low muscle tone (hence the delayed gross motor) and it would be good to rule out any brain abnormalities as a cause for it. The neurologist may want to do an MRI of his head, so that may be in his future.

After we see the neurologist and after the results of the genetic screening come back (it takes 8 weeks to get results), we will go back to the genetics doctor and go from there!

Elijah had a tough time with the appointment, and of course with the blood draw that followed. They did nothing that hurt him while in the doctor's office and he was just a mess. His little face looked so scared. Even while the nurse was sitting and talking to us, he had his arms wrapped around my neck super tight. Every once in a while he looked up at me and gave me a PLEASE MAMA, NO! look.

By the time we left there I was swallowing back tears. If a harmless exam got him that worked up, I knew the blood draw would be bad. I sat him down in the waiting room and said, "Elijah, you're going to have to get a little poke now. It might hurt a little bit, but it will be quick, and I'll be with you." He understood at least the gist of what I had said because his lower lip came out and he let out a quiet little sad cry, then he gave me a hug.

Fear and anxiety were all over his face. I started thinking, is it better to save some of the anxiety and just spring pain on him? Or is it better to put it out there and tell him what's coming? My gut tells me to be honest about it, because that way he can always trust me to tell him if something is or isn't going to cause him pain. After seeing his little worried face, though, I just felt so sad for the fear he was feeling. I sat with him in the waiting room and I said a little prayer in my head. I prayed that the blood draw would go as well as a blood draw could go.

I heard his name being called and I looked up to see the lab guy who has always had great success with drawing blood from Elijah in the past. We have had some pretty bad blood drawing experiences, but both times we had this guy, he did a great job. I almost hugged him! He was like an angel standing there in front of me. I remembered that his name was Dan, so I said, "OH DAN!" Luckily he remembered us from previous hospital visits, so he knew I wasn't a total fruity lady. He did a really good job with Elijah. He got a vein on the first try (!!) and it didn't take long at all. Of course, Elijah wasn't having any fun, but my prayer was answered. It went as well as it could possibly have gone. THANK YOU, GOD!

So, overall a good appointment, minus some emotional trauma. Looks like we're a step closer to getting genetic answers, if there are genetic answers to get. Thanks for the prayers! xo

7 comments:

mina said...

100% normal sounds good to me! I hope the results of the bloodwork don't bring any surprises, although I know you will always accept Elijah regardless of any genetic diagnosis. How could you love that adorable baby boy any less? Heck, I'm in love with him, and I've never even met him!

I agree, you should be honest with your kids, although I usually don't build up the drama days in advance with my older ones. If they are going to get shots or blood they know it that day. How else can they trust us? It's so much harder at Elijah's or Bilal's age when you're not quite sure how much they understand, but you can't tell a child a shot won't hurt; they will stop believing you. I'm glad the blood draw was quick and not too traumatic.

Tina:0) said...

Aren't those blood draws just the worst?!?! Even if they do get it on the first try & its over soon, I just hate having to put Vaeh through it... Make sure you give Elijah an extra hug from us:0)

Soooo glad that everything went well. There's something to be said for normal, huh?!!

XXOOXXOO

Unknown said...

oh sweetie I have been in your shoes we went through the exact same thing. I should get Logans results any day now. And I am Kinda Surprised you have not seen a neurologist yet. Sounds like they will have to do an MRI just to make sure. I know with Logan that is how they found he had a stroke. And the blood draws are the worst. I cried right along with Logan. It just breaks your heart.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have an amazing geneticist. I am glad to hear he will be seeing a neurologist to rule anything out. We went to a neurologist because of Arianna's sacral dimple. She ended up having the spine and head MRI as well. Has he had a spine MRI yet? With sacral dimples they normally always do that so I'd be suprised if he hasn't.

Oh the horrible blood draws :( Arianna had hers today as well. I told her yesterday she would get a blood draw and x-rays. Then before we left I told her about it again but explained the little poke, etc. She gave me the same look that you described about Elijah. They do understand and I agree with you that we need to be honest about anything that will hurt them. I know the waiting is the worst but it's reassuring the geneticist didn't think he had anything and his previous tests came back negative.

Give him a big hug from us!

Sarah said...

It is hard... I agree though and think that being honest with Evan has always prepared him. Like you said, it will let them know that we will always be truthful and be there to answer questions and hold their hands. Sweet little guys.

Ehlan said...

Could he be any cuter walking?? I love him! :) You are such a brave Mama for dealing with all of this medical stuff, I have a hard time just with shots! Kudos to you! And hugs too, because I know it's tough! Good luck with the next round of appoitnments!

Cecilia said...

I cried when I read your blog, you are such a brave lady. I haven't met with Elijah but I just so smitten to him.

Remeber, you have a bunch of good friends here for you!

Lots of love and hugs xoxoxox