Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Imagination at its peak



Elijah is such a good imaginative and independent player. He makes up entire pretend worlds in our home. He will whiz by me mumbling under his breath, "Oh, ok. Gotta go brush teeth in mine home. Ok, close the door quick. Bye, Mom." "Um, bye?!" I peek in to see this..



"Oh, hi, Elijah! I'm so glad you're brushing your teeth!" "Hi, Mom! Come into mine home! Close the door quick!"



And then suddenly our world turns into a grocery store or a gas station or a Lowe's or a pirate ship. I just go with the flow!

I bought a huge, fresh head of garlic recently and I vaguely remember seeing Elijah toting it around the house. He has recently learned how to get into the refrigerator, which has both its benefits (he can get his own milk) and downfalls (my garlic goes missing). I went to put three large, delicious cloves of garlic into a soup I was making on Sunday, and it was nowhere to be found. Who knows where in our home it might be, and won't that be fun to find in 3 months?

Last night I was gathering all of the ten Swimmy's fishies to send back to preschool today, and four were missing. "Elijah? Where are Swimmy's fishies? We have to return them tomorrow!" "Ummmmm...fishies in fwidge!" They were enjoying themselves in the cheese drawer.

Two minutes later, Elijah informed us that his little dvd player wasn't working. "It not works!" So Dan and I went over to investigate. Every time we put a dvd in, it would make a clicking sound and nothing would come up on the screen. I finally walked away, as I saw no hope. I heard Dan say, "Well THIS might be a problem!" I peeked around the corner and saw him holding up a piece of edamame. "Honey, green soybeans do not go inside your dvd player!" "Oh, ok. Sowwy, Mom."

3 comments:

mina said...

So funny, and so creative, Elijah!

Cecilia said...

What a creative boy!!!

Sarah said...

This post reminds me so much of Evan. Everything he plays is make believe - always talking - running through a room saying "come on I'll show you the way" to make believe playmates. It's not uncommon to walk in our house & hear us all talking in make believe voices, lol! I love our creative boys - Gods got big plans for them!