Tuesday, January 4, 2011

We have two new members in our family

I've mentioned this before, but Elijah's hands have been his little imaginary friends since he was a baby. Since he's been around a year old, his hands have "talked" back and forth to each other. And to him. And to Dan and me. It has always been cute, and over time the talking between them has become more discernible. Over Christmas vacation, we noticed that Hands would climb to the top of a box and jump off and hurt themselves. Or they would fly through the air. Or say something silly. Or whatever. Suffice it to say they were active.

Last night as I was putting Elijah to bed, he started talking to his hands. Then he looked at me and showed me his right hand and said, "Is Melissa!" "Oh, um, hi, Melissa!" Then he showed me his left hand and said, "Is Jeenon!" "Nice to meet you, Jeenon!" He seemed a little nervous about it, like he didn't know how kindly I would take to officially "meeting" his hands. Little does he know about my imaginary-friend-filled past! Mimi, Susie, Tenspeed and Vodka occupied my head until I was at least 5. Imaginary friends are something I most definitely understand!

Then Elijah started using different voices for each friend, and that had me a little weirded out. Melissa has a nice, high voice and Jeenon has a deep, gravelly, redrum-like voice. Hmmmmm.

When I put him to bed, both Melissa and Jeenon said "good night" to me, and I found myself saying, "Good night, guys! Oh, um, I mean, good night, Elijah." This morning when I got him out of bed, he thrust both hands in my face and said, "Good morning! Good morning!" Oh, good morning, guys!

Life with a wildly imaginative and smart little boy is so much fun!!

4 comments:

Cecilia said...

Say "hi" to Melissa and Jeenon for me please!

my life: said...

You will never know what a comfort this is to me!!! Just a few minutes ago...I had to remind Grace that her "friends" can't play while she's at the table. They have to wait until the food is all gone.
The up side is...they are with us ALWAYS...like when waiting in a doctors office and other moments of free time...the down side is: they are ALWAYS with us. ;0)

Sarah said...

Evan had 2 friends that I posted of long ago & I remember you replied to it & said you had as a kid... Got to blog catch up today & looks like you all had a nice Christmas, visit & getaway. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

ditto that wildly imaginative and smart part!

Barbara