Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Healing

Elijah, one week after OHS. Incredible!



The past week has been surreal. I still can't believe things went so smoothly with Elijah's surgery and part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop. The amount of anxiety I experienced between mid-February and June 10th is gross. So now that surgery is done, I'm left with....what? Where does all of that anxiety go? Does it turn into something else? Does it just go away? I still feel a good deal of sadness, but I also feel relief and happiness. Hopefully with a bit of time normalcy will return.

We have gotten out of the house a tiny bit since returning home, and we have even spent some time at the dropzone (Elijah's favorite place).



Elijah is doing great. Most of the time he has crazy amounts of energy and he runs around like a wild man. He has a post-surgery check-up tomorrow with Dr. G. I'm curious to see what his blood pressure is at and if there is still a big difference between his arms and his legs.



Sammy has been great, too. He is such a good baby. He is very patient with his big brother's sassiness and unwillingness to share.



Sam has been sucking his thumb more than ever. If anything upsets him, his thumb goes into his mouth immediately. He likes to crawl into my arms and snuggle up to me while he sucks away at it. He can say "BA" for "ball," "DA" for "Dad," "MA" for "Mama" and "AH-DUH" for "all done." He is taking tiny steps on his own. He can successfully take two steps and then he will fall down and giggle.



We are slowly working at removing the sticky tape residue from all over Elijah's body. It is hard to get off! And Elijah screams any time I even look at it, so it's been a slow process. It looks like we are a family of vampires!



That's all for now! Thanks for checking in..

3 comments:

mina said...

Great to hear how well Elijah is doing. And Sammy too!

Eye make-up remover is great for the sticky adhesive, and very gentle on the skin.

Cecilia said...

Wonderful to hear that everything is going well and smooth after Elijah's OHS.

Hugs to your two precious boys!

Have a nice week xoxo

Kathy said...

I just LOVE seeing those two cute boys!

You know...rub baby oil on the sticky stuff...it comes right off without scrubbing (some nurse many moons ago taught me that trick).

Hug those guys for me!
Kathy