Friday, May 2, 2014

Croup: Season 6, Episode 3 (Elijah)

We're starting off with a bang sans Dan. Juuuust as my sleepy body was crawling into bed last night, I heard stridor over the monitor and for some reason was not at all surprised. I carried Elijah for the second time in two days, this time to a steamy bathroom. The stridor wasn't super-scary, thankfully, so an epi neb wasn't necessary. We snuggled while sitting on the edge of the tub for 20 minutes and then I gave him a dose of oral steroids and put him in bed with me. From that moment until 2:00am, I went from placing my hand on his chest to putting my ear to his chest to asking him if he was ok...repeat 100 times. 2:00 (the witching hour) has always been Elijah's hour when croup is the most awful, if it's going to be awful. I realized I was not getting ANY sleep, so I put him back into his own bed at 2:00 on the dot. He had mild stridor the rest of the night and at 6:00 (the magic hour) all was well and he was ready to start the day!

Not surprisingly, I suppose, he had a "bad" note from his teacher today. It was his first in a long time, but with the steroids in his body (this med has always done a number on his mind/body) and lack of sleep I could have a little understanding. My attempt at putting both boys to bed early tonight was a complete failure. We are an overly tired bunch right now. I'm praying for a healing, restful weekend for all of us! And for a great DC trip for Dan! We miss him!

I'm believing for a turn-around day tomorrow. I'll be starting the day off with funfetti-strawberry pancakes! Come join us! :)

No comments: