Monday, July 7, 2008

Tough love

Tonight wasn't all fun once I got home from work. Elijah refused to eat his peas, carrots, avocado and chicken (all of which he will usually at least try) for dinner so I took him away from the table without a bite in his belly. I felt bad, like I was starving the kid, but we really want him to know that what we offer him for dinner is it. If he doesn't eat it, then he doesn't eat. Then we went into the living room to play. FIRST let me tell you two exciting things! Elijah can now do the army crawl to get to toys. Most of the time he doesn't even cry! Just today he started getting out of a sit all on his own in order to get to his toys. Yay Elijah! So tonight I wanted to see him get out of a sit since I had just heard about it through Dan. I sat him down and put his toys out of reach. He refused to move. He sat there and cried and cried gigantic tears. Finally I went over and put his hand to the floor for him and he automatically put himself onto his tummy. Silly boy. So, lots of progress, but progress isn't always easy. We're working hard for it!

Some pics from the weekend, as promised:


All the boats on the river before fireworks


Daddy and Elijah sitting on the 4-wheeler at the dropzone


The wonderful but broken Otter


Our cozy camper!


Mama and Eli


The runway....ahhhh, so open and nice. It's so good to get out of the city on the weekends.


Bonfire area


Dan landing his (very large) canopy


Looooves the bananas


Baby Wilson is trying to eat the truck!


Whatcha playing with over there?


Playing so nicely next to each other


Our Lounger. He kicks his legs up every chance he gets. I think he gets that from Mommy.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Tough love" is always the hardest and it doesn't ever get any easier! I am speaking as the mom of a teenager who gets my tough love all the time! I will say that Steph says quite often that even though she doesn't like it, she does appreciate it....so you're doing the right thing!

How great that you got to meet Baby Wilson & his family. They look so cute playing together!

You know we're all totally jealous you are going to get to meet the Rollers! You will have such a great time!

Love ya!

Cindy

Tina:0) said...

I hate the tough love thing, but its a necessary evil to parenting! He looks so happy while playing! And the curls are coming back - yea!!

I love the lounging picture! Vaeh always puts one (if not both) foot up on whatever she's sitting in front of! Maybe its a 'heart' thing:0)

Hope you have a good week!

Tina & Vaeh:0) (Jon & Gabby, too!)

mina said...

I love the pictures of the kids playing next to each other, soon they'll be actually playing together. Yay for more Elijah getting more mobile, but gotta get that house baby proofed fast!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys! Loved the pictures! Sorry we missed you at the DZ this past weekend. We spend the weekend at a family cabin north of Cloquet. It was SO nice to completely get away - no internet nor cell phone coverage! Just some great food, cool beverages and a nice pontoon boat! Glad to hear you had a fun weekend too! Have fun in Vegas!
Love and hugs
Tam & Doug

jencooper said...

Oh my goodness - he is so adorable. Thanks for giving me an Eli fix. I was missing seeing that gorgeous guy!

Tough love....ahhh...we know it well in the Cooper household. Bennett has gone to bed hungry many a night. We are the same way - this is dinner - eat it or leave it but that is what you are getting.

Hang in there Mama! You are awesome.

<3,
Jennifer

Kathy said...

TOugh mama...I need to take notes from you..I AM SUCH a pushover..that's why my boys are soo picky! (monsters that I created!)

He is so DARN cute...really! I'm so excited to meet you guys...but, sad:( that Elijah won't be with you. BUT, I'll just have to make a road trip up your way to meet him!
and doing the army man crawl...how amazing..there is HOPE!!! Isaac does the back scoot...but, he seems to get everything he needs that way.

Talk to you soon,
Kathy

Samantha said...

Thank you for the pictures...I have needed some of them! He looks fantastic! I hear you on the tough love! You are doing exactly what you are suppose to do with the food thing...better now than later on...like us :)

Love ya!
Samantha

Tiffers said...

Eli is just too cute. I am sure his personality is even better. Don't worry too much about the meal thing. Harrison leaves the table practically all the time without eating.

As far as the stubbornness. H's behavioral therapist came yesterday and we talked about the same issue. She says she loves to see the stubbornness in kiddos with such complex medical history. Stubbornness is a good thing in her field. It shows that the child really wants to do. If they didn't care they would just lay or sit around. She said to take this stubbornness in H and make it a positive. I know, easier said than done. Good luck and hang in there. I am learning that some days are better than others. Have fun in Vegas!

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

What a fun time! I love all those pics of that adorable boy :-)

my life: said...

why is he so dog-gone cute???? I will be devastated if you ever cut those curls!!!!!!!!!!

Krista said...

This pictures show how grown up that little guy is...he really is looking more and more like a toddler...not a baby! It won't be long now...he will be toddling around everywhere!

Sounds like a fun weekend...so glad Elijah is doing so well that you can have a normal life...YEAH!

Anonymous said...

Sooo cute, thanks for sharing. Elijah is getting so big. Looks like ya'll had a great time at the drop zone! Hey, whenever you get a chance to get to Southern California, you better let me know! Would love to meet up with you. We'll take you out to soak in the views...and Disneyland!