Monday, February 9, 2009

Backing off

I have some really fun things to report! Elijah started getting into a standing position ALL ON HIS OWN this weekend. Yesterday he stood up by himself and stayed holding onto the couch for a good 30 minutes as he listened to his favorite CD. So now he can pull himself up to standing, scoot along the couch, and get himself down, too! His progress has seriously been amazing. At first Dan and I thought that he might be walking by the middle of the summer, but at this rate, I bet it could be sooner than that.

I had a really good chat with Elijah's speech therapist last Thursday. Since it is very obvious that Elijah doesn't like being told when to do/say things, she suggested completely letting him take the lead. Instead of saying, "Elijah, show me where the lion is, and what does the lion say.." to say, "Look, there's a lion! Roar!" We have been using this approach with him, and it seems to be working. I am 95% sure he was saying "Elmo" yesterday. I pointed at Elmo and said, "Awwwww, there's Elmo..." Elijah pointed at him and said something that sounded like "Hemma." I said the same thing a few more times with the same result. Then I tried to show Dan and he stopped saying it.

The eating has also become easier because I have learned to BACK OFF. His desire for food is still sporadic, but if he refuses a meal, then that's that! We're done and we leave the table. Sooo much less stress for everyone involved. There will always be some worry in the back of my mind about non-eating being related to heart issues, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't force my kid to eat.

I have been such a slacker picture taker lately. We have a pretty busy week, but hopefully I'll find time to take and post some pics soon. Dan and I have both been exercising every day (ugh, I'm so out of shape), so now we have even less time for extra things.

I'll close with some cuteness.. Yesterday we celebrated Dan's niece's (Miya) first birthday with her. Elijah was in a good mood, so he seemed open to being a bit social. At one point he and Miya were sitting facing each other on the floor and I asked him if he wanted to give her a birthday kiss. He leaned in, lips puckered, ready to seal the deal, when Miya backed up and crawled away. He looked around like, HUH? Poor guy got shot down for the first time! Then when we were getting ready to leave, his Auntie Christine got close to him and said, "Bye Elijah! Thanks for coming!" He leaned in and planted a big ol' puckered-up kiss right on her lips. :)

9 comments:

jencooper said...

Way to go Elijah!! I am so proud of you for standing!

Megan, you are such a good mama! Isn't it amazing when we can figure out what "works" with our kiddos?

Hang in there! You are doing awesome!!

<3,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Yay Eljah! Keep up all the great work. Your are amazing and so are your mommy & daddy!

Lots of love,

Cindy

Kathy said...

I can't believe it...standing by himself!! YEAH for Mr. E!!! YEAH!!!

and giving away kisses...I wish I was there to get one!

Unknown said...

He is doing so good and coming so far in a short time. Keep up the good work buddy.
You are such a good Mom, you are doing the right thing by backing off this way he will not regress and begine to dislike eating foods (this is what my speech therapist tells me). And his Speech is really coming along before you no it he will be telling you no :)

Samantha said...

Way to go Elijah! Such a big boy! And all your speech progress...woo hoo! What a smart little boy you are! Sorry that you got shot down already, her loss! Now, Elijah...food is our friend...enjoy it :)

Much love!!!
Samantha

Andrea said...

Some very good ideas Megan! I think sometimes we know we should back off, but it's very hard to do! I'm sure Elijah will take the lead and show you what he can do.
Also, thanks for the award. :) I will pass it on a little later this week.

Wendy said...

Hi Megan!

I loved hearing that Elijah is standing now! You go, Big Boy!!! He is such a cutie...I watched his videos and just laughed out loud! Especially the one of him thinking...."hmmmmm"...adorable!!!!

It sounds like he's become a little kissy face just like Emma. Take lots of pics of those puckered lips...I have trouble getting Emma to do it for the camera now!

Take care and have a Happy Heart Day! We send a big hug to our friend, Elijah!

Lots of Love & Prayers,

Wendy (& Emma, too!)

Cecilia said...

Well done ... Elijah! You and Dan are great parents! Lots of love and hugs.

Unknown said...

I'm such a slacker. I am barely catching up on my blogger friends.

Just so you know we are using the same approach with Arianna for her speech and it's working. She talks so much. I'll have to post some videos soon.